Showing 22 results


Agriculture Building (University of Saskatchewan)

  • UASC0003
  • 1988-present

Original plans for the Agriculture Building had it joining Kirk Hall, the John Mitchell Building and Crop Science, but the architects, Folstad-Friggstad, instructed to provide “a highly visible complex for the College,” proposed a stand-alone building intended to state the importance of the College of Agriculture to the University. It is the first major building on campus clad with glass rather than brick or stone.

The original structure cost $91,000,000 and was constructed between 1988-1991. It consisted of five floors, with 164 research labs, 38 teaching labs, 182 offices, 9 classrooms, 4 computer training facilities, 6 conference rooms, and 167 controlled environment plant growth facilities. In addition it has an impressive inner courtyard, the Atrium, and is home to the Kenderdine Gallery, named in honour of the University’s first art instructor.

Numerous private and corporate donors contributed to the building fund.

The structure had been designed to enable future expansion, and by 2000 a sixth floor was added at a construction cost of $10,000,000. The new addition was intended to house Animal and Poultry Science, Food Science, and Bioinsecticide Research.

Fort de la Rivière Tremblante

  • SCN00100
  • 1791-1798

Fort de la Rivière Tremblante (also called "Fort Tremblante", "Aspin House" and "Grant's House") was a trading post of the North West Company on the Assiniboine River from 1791 to 1798. It was in prime fur country and produced most of the beaver and otter pelts in the Assiniboine district. Many of the furs likely came from the forested area to the east that is now Duck Mountain Provincial Park (Saskatchewan). It was founded by Robert Grant in 1791 and from 1793 to 1798 Cuthbert Grant Sr was in charge. His more famous son was born here in 1793. It was closed in 1798 and burned down in 1800. It was located about 9 miles south southeast of Kamsack, Saskatchewan and west of Togo, Saskatchewan. It was located 500 paces east of the Assiniboine just above the mouth of the Rivière Tremblante which comes in from the east. Fort de la Rivière Tremblante was excavated by Hugh MacKie, a University of Saskatchewan archaeologist, in the summers of 1967 and 1968. This work demonstrated that it was a solidly built establishment with several episodes of construction as it was expanded through the years.

Indian Head Methodist Church

  • IHM021
  • 1883-1925

The Indian Head Methodist Church held its first services on July 29, 1883 in the CPR Railway Station. On May 24, 1925, the congregation voted to unite with the Presbyterians into the United Church.

Saskatchewan Cancer an Medical Research Institute

  • UASC0001
  • 1958-2009

The Saskatchewan Cancer and Medical Research Institute was officially opened on 10 May 1958 by Premier T.C. Douglas. Clad in locally quarried greystone with limestone panels, it was the last of the buildings that constituted the University’s Medical Complex’s initial phase. Designed by Izumi, Arnott and Sugiyama and completed at a cost of $783,000, the building’s purpose was to provide shared accommodation for both general medical research and cancer specific investigations. Funding came from the federal and provincial governments and the provincial and national branches of the Canadian Cancer Society. A planned third floor was added in 1966. The building was "deconstructed" in 2009, with much of the building's material recycled including the greystone cladding for use with the E Wing that opened in 2013.

Senior Citizens' Activity Centre (Swift Current)

  • [1976]-2017

The Senior Citizens’ Activity Centre in Swift Current started ca. 1976 as a place where seniors in the community could meet up to play cards, cribbage, and other games, to hear some music, and to attend potluck meals. In 1983, it was located at 1311 Walker Street and then eventually moved to 42 Central Ave. N. The Centre officially opened at its newest location, 68 Central Ave. N., on June 3, 1992, and remained there until it closed in September 2017.

University of Saskatchewan - Arts Building√

  • 1958-pesent

As early as 1909 plans for an Arts Building were proposed for the University of Saskatchewan campus. In the early years of the University David Brown and Hugh Vallance, the original campus architects had in fact designed a building for the Humanities. The building was to have been named Haultain Hall after Sir Frederick Haultain, Premier of the North West Territories from 1891-1905 and Chancellor of the University of Saskatchewan from 1917-1940.

Finally in 1957 funding for the construction of an Arts building materialized. In that year the Canada Council provided a grant to the University of Saskatchewan for the construction of the Arts Building. The grant was part of a greater program designed to fund the construction of facilities for the Humanities at Universities across Canada. In May of 1957 University President Walter Thompson obtained an agreement from the Provincial Government to provide for one-half of the funds for the Arts Building as well as full funding toward the construction of an Animal Husbandry and a Biology Building.

University of Saskatchewan - College Building√

  • SCN00011
  • 1910 - present

Designated as a provincial heritage property in 1982 and as a National Historic Site in 2001, the University of Saskatchewan's first building has long served as the architectural, intellectual and emotional cornerstone of the campus. Designed by Brown and Vallance, the College Building was originally intended ultimately to house the College of Agriculture; but from the start, served numerous purposes. As early as April 1910, the floor plan included space for milk testing, butter making, cheese making, grain work; a gymnasium; several classrooms; offices for the Registrar, Dean of Agriculture, Director of Extension, and President; the original "faculty club"; laboratories; the library; and quarters for the janitor. After a sod-turning ceremony on 4 May 1910, the cornerstone was laid by Prime Minister Wilfrid Laurier on 29 July 1910. It was constructed between 1910-1912 by Smith Bros. and Wilson general contractors. Completed in 1912, the building was officially opened by Walter Scott, Premier of Saskatchewan, on 1 May 1913. The College Building serves as a memorial to much of the University's history: numerous plaques to individuals and organizations can be found in its interior, including memorial ribbons honouring members of the university community who served in the First World War. In 1997, the University created "Nobel Plaza" in front of the College Building, honouring two Nobel Laureates associated with the University: Gerhard Herzberg and Henry Taube. As the University grew, the College Building gradually became the administrative centre for the University. By the 1950s, most of the original teaching facilities were taken over by new or expanded offices including those of the registrar, controller, alumni and news services, and presidential staff. The building became known as the Administration Building at this point, and later the "old Administration Building" to distinguish it from the new wing. This expansion continued through the 1960s and 1970s, particularly with the appointment of a university secretary and vice-presidents. While Convocation Hall became too small for regular Convocation ceremonies by 1930, it maintained its original, broader function as a venue for concerts, meetings, lectures, and other events. Parts of the building were declared to be unsafe in 1979, which led to the construction of the new wing of the Administration Building, opened in 1987. Most of the original building was closed, but Convocation Hall remained in use until 1997. The building was reopened and officially rededicated as the College Building in September 2005 after a major rehabilitation project. The rehabilitation was reported to be "one of the largest heritage conservation projects in Canada - second only to the work being done on Parliament Hill." In addition to senior administrative offices and Convocation Hall, it became home to the Museum of Antiquities and new gallery space for the University Art Collection. Upon completion in 2012 the University Board of Governors renamed the Administration Building the Peter MacKinnon Building, in honour of Peter MacKinnon, retiring University President and a driving force behind the project.

University of Saskatchewan - Faculty Club√

  • SCN00082
  • 1911-

The Dean of Agriculture’s Residence, now the University Faculty Club, was among first buildings on campus. Designed by Brown & Vallance of Montreal, the original plan called for a wood-clad structure but this was abandoned when the Board of Governors decided to use local greystone in May, 1911. Unlike several of the larger buildings, the Dean’s Residence was built by university employees with the assistance of day labourers. Construction took less than a year and costs ran to nearly $25,000.

Sometimes known as “grey gables,” the building’s first resident was W.J. Rutherford. The location of the house, on the campus close to the University Farm, reflected the unique relationship of the Agricultural College with the University. In addition to a family residence, the adjourning grounds were used on occasion as the site for outdoor receptions and social gatherings. The last Dean to live in the house was V.E. Graham who moved out in 1961 so the building could be converted into a Faulty Club. The building underwent two more renovations in 1966 and 1975. The latter was the most extensive, cost $607,961, and established the footprint of the building as it exists today.

At 3:00 pm on 19 September 1972, a fire that had been smoldering in the roof insulation for hours became apparent inside the club. The building was evacuated and an alarm called into the City of Saskatoon Fire Department. Six units were eventually dispatched to battle the “stubborn” fire before a crowd of several hundred onlookers. No one was injured, the building was saved from catastrophic damage and it was soon functioning again as a friendly oasis for the members of faculty.

Results 1 to 15 of 22