Showing 22 resultsNames
University of Saskatchewan - Veterinary Hygiene Building√
University of Saskatchewan - Thorvaldson Building√
- 1913 - present
Originally named the Chemistry Building, the Thorvaldson Building was designed by Architect David R. Brown of Montreal. Although preliminary drawings for the building were complete in 1913, the structure was not built until 1924 due to the disruption of the First World War, followed by economic constraints.
University of Saskatchewan - Rutherford Rink√
The first major recreational facility on campus, “The Rink” was also the last major construction project completed before the combination of depression and war stopped all capital expansion. Designed by G.J.K. Verbeke, the rink was completed in 1929, at a cost of $47,000. Later renovations were made in 1980 and 1986.
Built on a site previously used for an open outdoor rink, construction of “The Rink” was due to student initiative. A campaign to have a closed rink facility began in 1920; by 1928, the Students Representative Council appointed a committee to look into the feasibility of the student body assuming responsibility for construction. The Board of Governors loaned SRC the funds; which the student council hoped to pay back by instituting a $3 student fee.
Although opened for use in December 1929 the rink, “already the most popular place on campus,” had its official opening on 23 January 1930, with an inter-varsity hockey game against the University of Manitoba (Saskatchewan won, 5-1). 650 attended the opening; and between 18-20,000 people used the rink during its first year of operation. The original design included “waiting rooms” on the west and east side, “primarily” for use by men and women respectively. The rink was used for general skating, “scrub,” faculty, senior men’s and girls’ varsity team hockey practices, the “fancy skating club,” children’s skating, and band practice. Speed skates were allowed, but the rink was “not responsible for injury resulting therefrom.” During general skating, “playing tag,” “cutting in,” “cracking the whip,” and “reckless disregard and abandon in speed skating” were not tolerated.
The building was renamed in honour of W.J. Rutherford, the University’s first Dean of Agriculture, whose “deep interest in everything pertaining to the well-being of his fellow citizens enabled him to render a service, not only to Agriculture and to Education, but to national affairs that has rarely been surpassed in this Province.” Rutherford’s sudden and unexpected death on 1 June 1930 was considered “a national loss.”
University of Saskatchewan - President's Residence√
The President’s Residence is among the original buildings constructed on campus. The residence was designed by Brown and Vallance, and was built under the direction of A.R. Greig, Superintendent of Buildings and Grounds. The building was originally planned as a wooden structure. However, a proposal to construct the building out of a local river rock, later known as greystone, was raised prior to the commencement of construction - if the government would foot the bill. Eventually the latter material was chosen, though the government perhaps came to regret its decision. Construction on the President's Residence began in 1910 and finished in early 1913. By the time it was completed the original cost for the building had ballooned from $32,000 to $44,615. Walter Murray, the first president of the University, was deeply embarrassed by the cost of what was to be his personal residence, even though it was also a public building. However, the people of Saskatoon were proud of the building and the status it gave their University, and no public outcry over the cost ever materialized. Renovations to the President's Residence were completed in 1989 by PCL-Maxam at a cost of $96,752. The renovations were designed by architects Malkin/Edwards.
University of Saskatchewan - Peterson Building
In 1958 the federal government leased a three-acre site in what was then the north end of campus from the University for $1 a year. On that site was built the PFRA-Peterson Building, home of the northern Saskatchewan PFRA (Prairie Farm Rehabilitation Act) regional group. Staff worked on planning for the Gardiner Dam, soil conservation, and provided a variety of technical services to its prairie clientele. Sold to the University of Saskatchewan in 1998 for $1, the building's name refers to Bob Peterson, PFRA's first soil mechanics and materials engineer who was involved in the design and construction of many of the PFRA dams in Western Canada.
University of Saskatchewan - Geology Building√
The construction of the Geology Building marked a return to the early style of campus architecture. The Department of Geology had been formed in 1927 and for the next six decades was based in the east wing of the Engineering Building. A growing faculty and student population had forced the department to cobble together makeshift accommodation in trailers and remote campus buildings. Designed by the architectural firm Black, McMillan and Larson of Regina, the building was given a neo-Collegiate Gothic exterior to blend harmoniously with the other buildings in the central campus. The two-and-a-half-storey building was erected just south or the bowl side of the W.P. Thompson Biology Building providing 8,543 square metres for office, laboratory, library, classroom, and storage space for rock and fossil samples. The exterior was clad with greystone and dressed with tyndal limestone. The dominant feature of the interior was a two story atrium that featured the mosaics for the former exterior walls of the Thompson Building, a life-size skeleton of a Tyrannosaurus Rex and geological and biological displays.
The $18.5 million Geology Building was completed in 1986 and fused the space between Physics and Biology and linked, through a walkway, with Chemistry, creating an integrated science complex on campus.
University of Saskatchewan - Faculty Club√
The Dean of Agriculture’s Residence, now the University Faculty Club, was among first buildings on campus. Designed by Brown & Vallance of Montreal, the original plan called for a wood-clad structure but this was abandoned when the Board of Governors decided to use local greystone in May, 1911. Unlike several of the larger buildings, the Dean’s Residence was built by university employees with the assistance of day labourers. Construction took less than a year and costs ran to nearly $25,000.
Sometimes known as “grey gables,” the building’s first resident was W.J. Rutherford. The location of the house, on the campus close to the University Farm, reflected the unique relationship of the Agricultural College with the University. In addition to a family residence, the adjourning grounds were used on occasion as the site for outdoor receptions and social gatherings. The last Dean to live in the house was V.E. Graham who moved out in 1961 so the building could be converted into a Faulty Club. The building underwent two more renovations in 1966 and 1975. The latter was the most extensive, cost $607,961, and established the footprint of the building as it exists today.
At 3:00 pm on 19 September 1972, a fire that had been smoldering in the roof insulation for hours became apparent inside the club. The building was evacuated and an alarm called into the City of Saskatoon Fire Department. Six units were eventually dispatched to battle the “stubborn” fire before a crowd of several hundred onlookers. No one was injured, the building was saved from catastrophic damage and it was soon functioning again as a friendly oasis for the members of faculty.
University of Saskatchewan - College Building√
- 1910 - present
Designated as a provincial heritage property in 1982 and as a National Historic Site in 2001, the University of Saskatchewan's first building has long served as the architectural, intellectual and emotional cornerstone of the campus. Designed by Brown and Vallance, the College Building was originally intended ultimately to house the College of Agriculture; but from the start, served numerous purposes. As early as April 1910, the floor plan included space for milk testing, butter making, cheese making, grain work; a gymnasium; several classrooms; offices for the Registrar, Dean of Agriculture, Director of Extension, and President; the original "faculty club"; laboratories; the library; and quarters for the janitor. After a sod-turning ceremony on 4 May 1910, the cornerstone was laid by Prime Minister Wilfrid Laurier on 29 July 1910. It was constructed between 1910-1912 by Smith Bros. and Wilson general contractors. Completed in 1912, the building was officially opened by Walter Scott, Premier of Saskatchewan, on 1 May 1913. The College Building serves as a memorial to much of the University's history: numerous plaques to individuals and organizations can be found in its interior, including memorial ribbons honouring members of the university community who served in the First World War. In 1997, the University created "Nobel Plaza" in front of the College Building, honouring two Nobel Laureates associated with the University: Gerhard Herzberg and Henry Taube. As the University grew, the College Building gradually became the administrative centre for the University. By the 1950s, most of the original teaching facilities were taken over by new or expanded offices including those of the registrar, controller, alumni and news services, and presidential staff. The building became known as the Administration Building at this point, and later the "old Administration Building" to distinguish it from the new wing. This expansion continued through the 1960s and 1970s, particularly with the appointment of a university secretary and vice-presidents. While Convocation Hall became too small for regular Convocation ceremonies by 1930, it maintained its original, broader function as a venue for concerts, meetings, lectures, and other events. Parts of the building were declared to be unsafe in 1979, which led to the construction of the new wing of the Administration Building, opened in 1987. Most of the original building was closed, but Convocation Hall remained in use until 1997. The building was reopened and officially rededicated as the College Building in September 2005 after a major rehabilitation project. The rehabilitation was reported to be "one of the largest heritage conservation projects in Canada - second only to the work being done on Parliament Hill." In addition to senior administrative offices and Convocation Hall, it became home to the Museum of Antiquities and new gallery space for the University Art Collection. Upon completion in 2012 the University Board of Governors renamed the Administration Building the Peter MacKinnon Building, in honour of Peter MacKinnon, retiring University President and a driving force behind the project.
University of Saskatchewan - Arts Building√
As early as 1909 plans for an Arts Building were proposed for the University of Saskatchewan campus. In the early years of the University David Brown and Hugh Vallance, the original campus architects had in fact designed a building for the Humanities. The building was to have been named Haultain Hall after Sir Frederick Haultain, Premier of the North West Territories from 1891-1905 and Chancellor of the University of Saskatchewan from 1917-1940.
Finally in 1957 funding for the construction of an Arts building materialized. In that year the Canada Council provided a grant to the University of Saskatchewan for the construction of the Arts Building. The grant was part of a greater program designed to fund the construction of facilities for the Humanities at Universities across Canada. In May of 1957 University President Walter Thompson obtained an agreement from the Provincial Government to provide for one-half of the funds for the Arts Building as well as full funding toward the construction of an Animal Husbandry and a Biology Building.
Senior Citizens' Activity Centre (Swift Current)
The Senior Citizens’ Activity Centre in Swift Current started ca. 1976 as a place where seniors in the community could meet up to play cards, cribbage, and other games, to hear some music, and to attend potluck meals. In 1983, it was located at 1311 Walker Street and then eventually moved to 42 Central Ave. N. The Centre officially opened at its newest location, 68 Central Ave. N., on June 3, 1992, and remained there until it closed in September 2017.