Showing 1567 results

Names
Corporate body

Women's Christian Temperance Union

  • Corporate body
  • 1889-

The Women's Christian Temperance Union (W.C.T.U.) was founded on the national level in 1883. It was the first interdenominational woman's organization in Canada and in the world. The Moose Jaw Union of the W.C.T.U. was organized in 1889. The Union is renowned for its campaign against liquor, but it has always been a service organization, and was one of the major movements in working towards the franchise for women. The W.C.T.U. members are dedicated to the Christian principle of responsibility for the welfare of mankind, and the sacredness of human life. The motto is "For God and Home and Every Land." The pledge is one of total abstinence from alcohol, tobacco and narcotics, believing they contribute to the desecration of the home and the demoralization of the individual. Provincial conventions met annually, Canadian conventions met biennially, and World conventions triennially. The children and youth organizations are Little White Ribboners for children under 7 years of age, Loyal Temperance Legion for children 7 to 14 years of age, and the Youth Temperance Council for young people over 14 years. Women active in the Moose Jaw W.C.T.U. included Mrs. A.E. Peacock, Mrs. W. H. Beamish, Miss F.M. Johnstone, Mrs. E. Green, Mrs. A. Johnson, Mrs. H.F. Lanks, Mrs. A. Bricker, Mrs. C. Kjarsgaard, Mrs. Amy Lancaster, Mrs. Mildred Steele.

Wood Mountain Pastoral Charge

  • SCAA-UCCS-0205
  • Corporate body
  • 1925–19??

Wood Mountain Pastoral Charge was formed as a new United Church charge in 1925, containing Wood Mountain United Church. The church later became part of Grasslands Pastoral Charge, before officially closing, on November 17, 2008.

Woodrow Pastoral Charge

  • SCAA-UCCS-0348
  • Corporate body
  • 1925–ca.1969

Woodrow Pastoral Charge was formed as a new United Church charge in 1925, containing preaching points at Woodrow and Sunbeam. By 1962, it consisted of Woodrow, Glenbain, Kincaid, and Meyronne. The charge dissolved ca.1969 and the Woodrow preaching point became joined Lafleche Pastoral Charge.

Wright Museum

  • SCAA-SCM-0126
  • Corporate body
  • 20th/21st cent.

Wynyard Pastoral Charge

  • SCAA-UCCS-0349
  • Corporate body
  • 1925–1997

Wynyard Pastoral Charge was formed as a new United Church charge in 1925, containing preaching points at Wynyard, Little Quill and Harvard. On March 31, 1997, the charge amalgamated with Foote-Copeland Pastoral Charge, forming the new Living Shamrock Pastoral Charge.

Yellow Grass Pastoral Charge

  • SCAA-UCCS-0256
  • Corporate body
  • 1925–

Yellow Grass Pastoral Charge was formed as a new United Church charge in 1925, part of Weyburn Presbytery and consisting of Yellow Grass United Church. Previously, the church had been a local union since October 1922, when Yellow Grass Methodist and Knox Presbyterian Churches joined together. Later additions to the United Church charge included preaching points at Lewvan and Colfax, as well as Trossachs (moved from Radville Pastoral Charge, July 1, 1985). Colfax was closed in 1984, Lewvan in 1988.

The charge was designated a shared ministry, as of August 27, 2003, under the name Yellow Grass-Trossachs United Lutheran Partnership. After the closure of the Trossachs preaching place, the charge was re-named Yellow Grass United Lutheran Partnership, on August 29, 2007.

Yolanda's Dress Shop

  • SCAA-SCM-0113
  • Corporate body
  • [19--] to [19--]

Yolanda's Dress shop was named after (owner/proprietor ?) Yolanda Lorenzina (1902 - 1996). She is interned at Mount Pleasant Burial Park in Swift Current, SK

Yorkton St. Andrew's Pastoral Charge

  • SCAA-UCCS-0257
  • Corporate body
  • 1925–

Yorkton St. Andrew's Pastoral Charge was formed as a new United Church charge in 1925, consisting of preaching points at St. Andrew's United Church, in Yorkton, and at Orkney (previously St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church and Orkney Church). Prior to that, the area had also included a Methodist Church -- likely the one that formed the new United Church Yorkton Fourth Avenue Pastoral Charge, in 1925 until sometime before 1932. Around 1959, the additional Yorkton Rural Pastoral Charge was formed, under W.M.S. supply Evelyn Mathews (points soon included Calder, Halmok, Hampton, Otthon, Orcadia, Willowbrook) and ca.1961, Yorkton - South West Pastoral Charge was also formed, under W.E. Shank.

Young Pastoral Charge

  • SCAA-UCCS-0519
  • Corporate body
  • 1925–ca.1969

Young Pastoral Charge was formed as United Church charge in 1925, part of Saskatoon Presbytery and containing appointments at Young, Zelma and Rapid Advance. By the mid-1930s, it was listed as Young-Zelma Pastoral Charge, with no additional points.

Around 1969, the point at Lost River was moved to Bradwell Pastoral Charge, while the remaining Young-Zelma joined Watrous Pastoral Charge.

Results 1546 to 1560 of 1567