- Corporate body
Big River Pastoral Charge was originally formed in 1925, as the United Church's Eldred Mission Field, part of Prince Albert Presbytery and containing preaching points at Eldred and Big River. It was listed as an aid-receiving Pastoral Charge in 1926. By 1932, the name had changed to Big River Pastoral Charge, with points at Big River, Eldred and Sturgeon Heights. As of 1936, the charge included Black Duck, De Laronde, Reed and Stoney Lake. South Stoney and Swanston were also added ca.1940. By 1962, the charge consisted of just Big River, Debden and Rapid Bend.
Around 1972, Big River and Canwood (previously part of Shellbrook-Leask Pastoral Charge) amalgamated to form Big River - Canwood Pastoral Charge. Canwood's Trinity United Church closed March 30 2010, leaving just Big River's First United Church in the pastoral charge. As of April 27, 2012, the name returned to Big River Pastoral Charge.