Showing 19 resultsNames
Boughton, Harvey Crawford (Dr.)
- April 16, 1889 - May 26, 1970
Medical Doctor, Fort San Sanatorium August 1, 1917 - August 1918
Assistant Medical Superintendent, Fort San Sanatorium, August 1918 - 1925
Orchestra Director, Fort San Orchestra, 1917 - 1925
Medical Superintendent, Saskatoon Sanatorium, April 15, 1925 - 1959
George Barnett was born in Saskatoon in 1915. He entered medical school at the University of Manitoba in 1938. He spent a year out of university while being treated for pleurisy at the Fort San Sanatorium, but recovered and graduated in 1944. After graduation he served in the armed forces. In 1946, Dr. Ferguson obtained Dr. Barnett's early release from the armed forces (RCAMC) and he joined SATL as a medical doctor. In 1957 Dr. Barnett was appointed as Dr. Orr's assistant, and succeeded him as General Superintendent on December 15th, 1957. He retired in 1982. He received a Commemorative Medal for the 125th Anniversary of the Confederation of Canada, presented by the Governor General.
Dr. Ferguson graduated from the Manitoba Medical School in 1916, while in medical school he interned under Dr. Steward a the Ninette Sanatorium. Dr. Ferguson was appointed Medical Superintendent of the Fort San Sanatorium in 1917 and retired from the League in 1948. During this time he resided at Fort San with his wife Helen and their 7 children.
The Ninette (or Manitoba) Sanatorium was built in the town of Ninette, on the shores of Pelican Lake, in 1909. Consisting of many buildings built specifically to serve as a sanatorium, the lake view, treed landscape, and stone buildings all contributed to a picturesque setting. This setting was purposeful, as TB treatment up until the Second World War consisted primarily of rest, good food, and fresh air. A large veranda was built on the front of the sanatorium to accommodate the patients in their beds while they took in fresh air. Surgical procedures were incorporated into treatment plans in the following decades. It is not clear when Indigenous patients began being treated at Ninette. The hospital admitted primarily non-Indigenous patients until hospitalization rates among those groups began to decline after the Second World War, leaving open beds that needed to be filled. The Ninette Sanatorium remained in operation until 1972, when TB treatment was wholly transferred to the Central TB Clinic in Winnipeg.
Hamilton, Thomas Wilfred (Dr.)
- August 29, 1894 - September 3, 1946
Stewart, David Alexander (Dr.)
- February 15, 1878 - February 16, 1937
Medical Superintendent, Ninette Sanatorium, 1909-1937
President, Manitoba Historical Society, 1929-1934
President, Manitoba Medical Association, 1925-1926
In 1915, Dr. Stewart married Ida Kate Bradshaw, a nurse. They remained married until her death in 1936.
Helen Ross was born in 1892 in Burford, Ontario. She studied art at Moulton College in Toronto before her family moved to Wynyard, Saskatchewan in 1911. She was engaged to Dr. Robert George Ferguson from 1912 until their wedding on July 5, 1916. During their engagement she trained to be a nurse at the Winnipeg General Hospital but contracted scarlet fever, diphtheria, and pneumonia towards the end of her third year and had to discontinue her training (1912-1915). After their wedding, the pair resided at the Fort San Sanatorium. After his retirement, they moved to Balfour Apartments in Regina while still summering at a cottage on Echo Lake near Fort San. Helen is remembered as an artist and for her ability to remember names, accompanying her husband as he visiting patients in the sanatorium. Helen lived past her 89th year.
-  - April 17, 1923
Saskatchewan Anti-Tuberculosis League
The "Great White Plague" was the name used to describe tuberculosis. To fight the highly contagious disease the Saskatchewan Anti-Tuberculosis League was formed in 1911. Under its auspices Fort Qu'Appelle Sanatorium, was opened in 1917 to provide rest and fresh air. But the cure was long and tedious; few could afford to remain until they were healed. So in 1929, through the League's urging, Saskatchewan was the first province to make the care and treatment of tuberculosis free of charge. In 1987, with the closure of the sanatoriums, the League is reorganized into the Saskatchewan Lung Association.
Dr. Orr, a former tuberculosis patient from Manitoba, joined the medical staff of the League in 1926. In 1948, Dr. Ferguson retired, and Dr. Orr succeeded him as General Superintendent and Director of Medical Services. He retired in 1957, succeeded by Dr. Barnett.
Fort Qu'Appelle Indian [Indigenous] Hospital
The Fort Qu'Appelle Indian [Indigenous] Hospital was operated by the Department of Indian Affairs from 1936-1996. In 1996, ownership transferred to the Touchwood File Hills Qu'Appelle Tribal Council who operated it until 2004, when it was replaced by the All Nations' Healing Hospital. In 2014, the Fort Qu'Appelle Indian [Indigenous] Hospital building was demolished.
In 1930 Dr. A.B Simes was appointed to the Fort Qu'Appelle Indian Health Unit by the Department of Indian Affairs. By the time the Fort Qu'Appelle Indian Hospital opened in 1936, Dr. Simes was Medical Superintendent of the health unit. In 1944, Dr. Simes publishes the “Simes” Report, criticizing the care provided by Elkhorn Residential School and highlighting neglect there. He recommends better medical care and living conditions in the school. In 1948, he is promoted to Medical Supervisor of Indian Health Services for the province of Saskatchewan. Dr. Simes can be seen on the far right in the image of the sod breaking displayed above.
- Volgende »