Showing 8 resultsNames
Abernethy-Yorkton Presbytery was created in 1953, through the merging of Yorkton Presbytery and part of Abernethy Presbytery (east of Highway 35). In 1956, Abernethy-Yorkton amalgamated with Kamsack Presbytery and the resulting body returned to the earlier name, Yorkton Presbytery.
- 1925–1969?, 1989–
Abernethy Pastoral Charge was formed as a new United Church charge in 1925, containing preaching points at Abernethy, Kenlis, Chickney, and Gillespie. Around 1959, it joined with Lemberg to become Abernethy-Lemberg Pastoral Charge. (The new charge would become part of Pheasant Creek Larger Parish ca.1969-1989, before re-emerging.)
Pheasant Creek Larger Parish was a pastoral charge created around 1969, from an amalgamation of Abernethy-Lemberg Pastoral Charge (with Abernethy, Lemberg and Neudorf points), Balcarres-Pheasant Forks Pastoral Charge (with Balcarres, Duff and Lorlie points) and File Hills "Indian" Pastoral Charge. Around 1980, File Hills separated to re-establish itself as a separate charge.
As of July 1, 1989, the charge was split into Abernethy-Lemberg (a.k.a. Lemberg-Abernethy), Balcarres, and Duff Pastoral Charges.
- 1925–1969?, 1989–
Lemberg Pastoral Charge was formed as a new United Church charge in 1925, part of Abernethy Presbytery and containing preaching points at Lemberg, Rosewood and Neudorf.
Around 1959 Abernethy Pastoral Charge and Lemberg Pastoral Charge amalgamated to form Abernethy-Lemberg Pastoral Charge (a.k.a. Lemberg-Abernethy Pastoral Charge). This was combined with Balcarres-Pheasant Forks Pastoral Charge ca.1969, to create Pheasant Creek Larger Parish. In 1989, the Parish split into Abernethy-Lemberg, Balcarres, and Duff Pastoral Charges.
- 19??–? [1941 or earlier to 1950 or later]
Abernethy Presbytery was one of the original 16 presbyteries established by the first General Council of the United Church of Canada (June 1925), to be part of the new Saskatchewan Conference. Initial boundaries were based on the previous Abernethy Presbytery, which had been part of the Presbyterian Synod of Saskatchewan.
In 1953, the pastoral charges in Abernethy Presbytery were divided and moved to other presbyteries: Nokomis Pastoral Charge was added to Saskatoon Presbytery; other charges located west of Highway 35 were reassigned to Regina Presbytery; and the charges east of Highway 35 were moved to Yorkton Presbytery, which was re-named Abernethy-Yorkton Presbytery.
In 1930 Dr. A.B Simes was appointed to the Fort Qu'Appelle Indian Health Unit by the Department of Indian Affairs. By the time the Fort Qu'Appelle Indian Hospital opened in 1936, Dr. Simes was Medical Superintendent of the health unit. In 1944, Dr. Simes publishes the “Simes” Report, criticizing the care provided by Elkhorn Residential School and highlighting neglect there. He recommends better medical care and living conditions in the school. In 1948, he is promoted to Medical Supervisor of Indian Health Services for the province of Saskatchewan.