Title and statement of responsibility area
Arcola Presbytery fonds
General material designation
- Textual record
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Variations in title: Previously identified as Arcola Presbytery sub-series (A.381.XI.D.2).
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
- United Church of Canada Arcola-Estevan Presbytery
- United Church of Canada Arcola Presbytery
- Moose Mountain County Sunday School Association
- Likely collected by Arcola Presbytery and/or its predecessor(s).
Physical description area
11.5 cm of textual records
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
Name of creator
Arcola Presbytery was one of the original 16 presbyteries established by the first General Council of the United Church of Canada (June 1925), to be part of the new Saskatchewan Conference. Initial boundaries were based on the previous Arcola Presbytery, which had been part of the Presbyterian Synod of Saskatchewan. Prior to 1925, there had also been an Arcola District, in the Methodist Saskatchewan Conference.
In 1951, Arcola and Estevan Presbyteries amalgamated and became Arcola-Estevan Presbytery.
Name of creator
Arcola-Estevan Presbytery was created from the amalgamation of Arcola Presbytery and Estevan Presbytery, in 1951. In 1973, Arcola-Estevan Presbytery was combined with part of Assiniboia Presbytery, becoming the new Souris Valley Presbytery.
Most records in the fonds were likely transferred to the archives between 1925 and 1986. Their original provenance is unclear, though administrative and committee records may have come directly from presbytery secretaries, committee members, delegates or other associated individuals.
From 1925 through to 1982, the official repository for Conference, Presbytery and local records of the United Church in Saskatchewan was at St. Andrew’s College (Saskatoon). In 1982, the Conference signed an agreement to house their records with the Saskatchewan Archives Board (later Provincial Archives of Saskatchewan), while still retaining ownership and management responsibilities. The collections were gradually relocated and continue to be stored with the Provincial Archives, to the present day.
Scope and content
The fonds consists of textual materials generated by Arcola and Arcola-Estevan Presbyteries, their secretaries, committees and related bodies, in fulfillment of their responsibilities, as outlined in the Manual of the United Church of Canada.
Contents include meeting minutes (1925-1951), treasurer’s records and records of candidates for ministry, as well as documents relating to the Moose Mountain County Sunday School Association (1903-1937).
Immediate source of acquisition
Original order for many of these records is unclear. Items listed under A.381.XI.D.2 were arranged sometime before 1990.
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Microfilm copy of some records available for viewing at the Provincial Archives of Saskatchewan (microfilm reference number R.10).
Restrictions on access
Some records may be restricted, to protect personal information.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Use, publication, and/or reproduction of records are subject to the conditions of the Copyright Act. Please consult archivist for assistance.
GS-168 includes original file and series listings, in sections XI.D.2 and A.923.SA.2098. Additional microfilm copies listed in finding aid IR-12.