Athol Murray College of Notre Dame

Identity area

Type of entity

Corporate body

Authorized form of name

Athol Murray College of Notre Dame

Parallel form(s) of name

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence



In 1920 the Sisters of Charity of St. Louis and the St. Augustine parish priest Father Benoit opened Notre Dame of the Prairies, an elementary residential Convent school for boys and girls, in Wilcox, Saskatchewan. In 1927, Father Athol Murray the newly appointed St. Augustine parish priest, began the high school program at the school. Sister Mary Edith McCullough also arrived at the school in 1927 and remained to teach for over 30 years. Father Murray became the college administrator and taught the school's Arts program, obtaining an official affiliation with the University of Ottawa in 1933. Mother Edith and the Sisters of Charity of St. Louis ran the elementary and other high school programs. Over the decades the school was renamed Notre Dame of Canada, Notre Dame of Saskatchewan, and was informally known as "Shack College." The school has remained a catholic co ed residential school but now offers only high school grades 9 to 12. Upon Father Murray's death in 1975 the college was officially renamed the Athol Murray College of Notre Dame.


Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

Mandates/sources of authority

Internal structures/genealogy

General context

Relationships area

Access points area

Subject access points

Place access points


Control area

Authority record identifier


Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used


Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion




Maintenance notes

  • Clipboard

  • Export

  • EAC

Related subjects

Related places