Title and statement of responsibility area
Balcarres Pastoral Charge fonds
General material designation
- Textual record
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
Physical description area
83 cm (approx.) of textual records
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
Balcarres Pastoral Charge was formed as a new United Church charge in 1925, including points at Wrights and Saltoun. By the 1960s, Wrights and Saltoun were no longer noted but points at Duff and Lorie had been incorporated, under the name Balcarres-Pheasant Forks Pastoral Charge.
Name of creator
Pheasant Creek Larger Parish was a pastoral charge created around 1969, from an amalgamation of Abernethy-Lemberg Pastoral Charge (with Abernethy, Lemberg and Neudorf points), Balcarres-Pheasant Forks Pastoral Charge (with Balcarres, Duff and Lorlie points) and File Hills "Indian" Pastoral Charge. Around 1980, File Hills separated to re-establish itself as a separate charge.
As of July 1, 1989, the charge was split into Abernethy-Lemberg, Balcarres, and Duff Pastoral Charges.
Name of creator
File Hills Pastoral Charge was formed as a new United Church charge in 1925, as the File Hills Colony Mission Field, part of the Abernethy Presbytery. It primarily consists of the File Hills (Wanakepew) preaching place, near Kamsack, Saskatchewan. From about 1969 to 1979/1980, File Hills was part of Pheasant Creek Larger Parish, before being re-established as a separate charge.
In 1984, File Hills Pastoral Charge joined the new Plains Presbytery, which became part of the All Native Circle Conference when it was formed, in 1989.
Original provenance for many of the records in the fonds is unclear. Initial items (under A.381.XV) were transferred to the archives between 1925 and 1986. Additions (XV.SR.1490 to SR.1510) were received by Saskatchewan Conference archives around 2015.
From 1925 through to 1982, the official repository for the United Church in Saskatchewan was at St. Andrew’s College (Saskatoon), where they were managed by a designated Conference Archivist. In 1982, the Conference signed an agreement to house their records with the Saskatchewan Archives Board (later Provincial Archives of Saskatchewan), while still retaining ownership and management responsibilities. The collections were gradually relocated and continue to be stored with the Provincial Archives, to the present day.
Scope and content
The fonds consists of textual materials generated by Balcarres Pastoral Charge, Pheasant Creek Larger Parish and constituent churches – their boards, committees and related bodies, local women’s units and other groups.
Contents include: minutes of church boards, sessions and stewards meetings; meetings of local Women’s Missionary Society (W.M.S.) and United Church Women (U.C.W.) groups; a communion roll covering Balcarres, Wrights and Saltoun; and registers of baptisms, marriages and burials held at Balcarres and File Hills. Early minutes also include a 1925 joint meeting of Presbyterian and Methodist churches. St. Andrew’s Presbyterian/United Church (Balcarres), Wrights, Saltoun, and File Hills are among the congregations and communities identified in this fonds.
Immediate source of acquisition
Accruals to the collection (listed under XV.SR.) were received ca.2015 from St. Andrew's United Church, Balcarres. Previous records were likely also received via representatives of the Pastoral Charge.
Original order for many of these records is unclear. Items under A.381.XV.A and A.381.XV.B were arranged and listed as local church records sometime before 1990 and XV.SR.1490 to SR.1510 were added in 2018. The fonds was created in 2021, to include select records previously listed and any new accruals.
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Some records are restricted, to protect personal information.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Use, publication, and/or reproduction of records are subject to the conditions of the Copyright Act. Church registers may not be photographed, scanned or otherwise copied without written permission from the Regional Council. Please consult archivist for assistance.
GS-168 includes original file listings.
Digital copies of select documents are also held by the National Centre for Truth and Reconciliation (NCTR), in Winnipeg, Manitoba.
Further accruals are expected.