Title and statement of responsibility area
Battleford Presbytery fonds
General material designation
- Textual record
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Variations in title: Previously identified as Battleford Presbytery sub-series (A.381.XI.D.5).
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
- United Church of Canada Battleford Presbytery
Physical description area
48.2 cm of textual records
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
Battleford Presbytery was one of the original 16 presbyteries established by the first General Council of the United Church of Canada (June 1925), to be part of the new Saskatchewan Conference. Initial boundaries were based on predecessor Battleford Presbytery, which had been part of the Presbyterian Synod of Saskatchewan.
In 2000, Saskatchewan Conference went from 10 presbyteries to 7, with each adopting a new name. Most pastoral charges from Battleford Presbytery became part of the new Prairie Pine Presbytery.
Most records in the fonds were likely transferred to the archives between 1925 and 1986, with later additions brought in ca.2018. Their original provenance is unclear, though administrative and committee records may have come directly from presbytery secretaries, committee members, delegates or other associated individuals.
From 1925 through to 1982, the official repository for Conference, Presbytery and local records of the United Church in Saskatchewan was at St. Andrew’s College (Saskatoon). In 1982, the Conference signed an agreement to house their records with the Saskatchewan Archives Board (later Provincial Archives of Saskatchewan), while still retaining ownership and management responsibilities. The collections were gradually relocated and continue to be stored with the Provincial Archives, to the present day.
Scope and content
The fonds consists of textual materials generated by the Presbytery, its secretaries, committees and related bodies, in fulfillment of their responsibilities, as outlined in the Manual of the United Church of Canada.
Contents include: minutes; reports; correspondence; documents regarding Hafford (Mission) Hospital; an accounts ledger; files relating to education and students; record of candidates for ministry; pastoral relations records; and a Battleford Presbytery Survey (1973).
Immediate source of acquisition
Original order for many of these records is unclear. Items listed under A.381.XI.D.5 were arranged sometime before 1990, with those under A.785 likely in the 1990s. Additional items (under XXIII) were arranged in 2018.
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Microfilm copy of some records available for viewing at the Provincial Archives of Saskatchewan (microfilm reference number R.10).
Restrictions on access
Some records may be restricted, to protect personal information.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Use, publication, and/or reproduction of records are subject to the conditions of the Copyright Act. Please consult archivist for assistance.
GS-168 includes some file and series listings, in sections A.381.XI.D.5, A.785.SA.285 and SA.815, A.923.SA.2099 to SA.2100, and XXIII.SR.1168 to SR.1172. Additional microfilm contents listed in finding aid IR-12.