Fonds FL 061 - Big River - Canwood Pastoral Charge fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Big River - Canwood Pastoral Charge fonds

General material designation

  • Textual record

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description


Reference code

FL 061

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area


  • 1923–2009 (Creation)

Physical description area

Physical description

16 cm (approx.) of textual records

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator


Administrative history

Big River Pastoral Charge was originally formed in 1925, as the United Church's Eldred Mission Field, part of Prince Albert Presbytery and containing preaching points at Eldred and Big River. It was listed as an aid-receiving Pastoral Charge in 1926. By 1932, the name had changed to Big River Pastoral Charge, with points at Big River, Eldred and Sturgeon Heights. As of 1936, the charge included Black Duck, De Laronde, Reed and Stoney Lake. South Stoney and Swanston were also added ca.1940. By 1962, the charge consisted of just Big River, Debden and Rapid Bend.

Around 1972, Big River and Canwood (previously part of Shellbrook-Leask Pastoral Charge) amalgamated to form Big River - Canwood Pastoral Charge. Canwood's Trinity United Church closed March 30 2010, leaving just Big River's First United Church in the pastoral charge. As of April 27, 2012, the name returned to Big River Pastoral Charge.

Name of creator


Administrative history

Foxdale Pastoral Charge was formed around 1926, as an aid-receiving United Church charge, part of Prince Albert Presbytery. By 1932, the charge included Foxdale, Canwood, Silver Cliff and Sturgeon River points, and was listed as Canwood-Foxdale Pastoral Charge. As of 1936, the name had shifted to Canwood Pastoral Charge and it consisted of just Canwood, Polwarth and Silver Cliff. Marchant Grove was added and Silver Cliff removed by 1940. Sometime between 1946 and 1951, the points moved into Shellbrook Pastoral Charge.

Around 1972, Canwood moved from Shellbrook Pastoral Charge (which became Shellbrook-Leask) to Big River Pastoral Charge, which was re-named Big River - Canwood Pastoral Charge. Canwood's Trinity United Church closed March 30 2010, leaving just Big River's First United Church and the charge would return to the name Big River Pastoral Charge.

Custodial history

Original provenance for many of the records in the fonds is unclear. Initial items were transferred to the archives between 1925 and 1986. Further batches of records were added around 1988, 2005 and 2013.

Scope and content

The fonds consists of textual materials generated by Big River - Canwood Pastoral Charge and its predecessors, including Big River, Eldred - Big River, Foxdale, Foxdale-Canwood, and Canwood Pastoral Charge, as well as their constituent congregations – church boards, committees and related bodies, local women’s units and other groups.

Contents include: minutes of official boards, Trustees, Stewards, congregational, and Joint Charge meetings; some financial records and reports; architectural drawings from Big River; Historic Rolls; Home Mission Record Books from the Canwood and Eldred areas; and registers of baptisms, marriages, and burials held at Canwood (Trinity United), Big River (First United), Debden, Marchant Grove, Silver Cliff, Eldred, Foxdale, and related locations.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition


Original order for many of these records is unclear. Items under XV.A and XV.B were arranged and listed as local church records sometime before 1990 and the accruals (under XV.SC, XV.SR) were added between 2005 and 2013. The fonds was created in 2022, to include records previously listed and any later additions.

Language of material

  • English

Script of material

  • Latin

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Some records are restricted, to protect personal information.

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Use, publication, and/or reproduction of records are subject to the conditions of the Copyright Act. Church registers may not be photographed, scanned or otherwise copied without written permission from the Regional Council. Please consult archivist for assistance.

Finding aids

GS-168 includes original file listings.

Associated materials


Further accruals are expected.

Alpha-numeric designations

Textual records: A.381.XV.A.563 to A.564, A.1015 to A.1016, A.2101, A.6406 to A.381.XV.A.6409; A.1094.XV.SC.1253; A.1107.XV.SR.1 to SR.2, SR.80

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Name access points

Control area

Accession area