Title and statement of responsibility area
Blofield School District No. 1307 fonds
General material designation
- Textual record
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
- Blofield School District No. 1307
Physical description area
4.00 cm of textual records.
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
The Blofield School District was located, in the area south of Buffalo Pound Lake and east of Tuxford. The name was taken from a church parish near Bath, England. The first Board of Trustees consisted of A.R. Ross, R.R. Bruce, Jas. Staples and J.L.O. de la Hey. Approval by the trustees for construction of a school had been given in September 1912. In 1913 the school was built on SW 6-19-25 W2 and opened for classes on January 5, 1914.
The district originally consisted of 9600 assessable acres with 20 families and 11 children. Enrollment usually varied between ten (10) and twenty (20) pupils. Miss Mabel Moss served as the first teacher between January 1914 and June 1916.
In December 1947 the school was destroyed by fire. Classes were held in an empty house until a new school was rebuilt. At a meeting of the trustees on March 18, 1959 they voted to close the school at the end of the term and bus students to Tuxford. The building was moved to the South-West of Moose Jaw and continued to be used as a school.
The trustees continued to meet until 1962, at which time they voted to join a central board at Tuxford.
Scope and content
This fonds contains a minute book of meetings of trustees and ratepayers, daily registers for attendance at the Blofield School No. 1307, an inventory of the land and the school building, correspondence from the secretary treasurer of the Blofield School District as well as notes from a meeting of the School Board.
Immediate source of acquisition
Accession Number:11.BA donated to the archives by Ramsay Ross
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Finding aid and file list available. See attached finding aid.
Uploaded finding aid
No further accruals expected.
This fonds was re foldered in 2000.
This fonds contains textual records as well as photocopies