Type of entity
Authorized form of name
Catholic Women's League of Canada, Saskatchewan Provincial Council 1948-
Parallel form(s) of name
Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules
Other form(s) of name
Identifiers for corporate bodies
Dates of existence
The Catholic Women's League was originally organized in England. Units of the League were established in Edmonton in 1912, Montreal in 1917, Toronto and Ottawa in 1918, and Halifax, Regina, and Sherbrooke in 1919. The dream of a Dominion-wide organization began to take shape during the week of June 19, 1920 when existing units of the League and several other groups of Catholic women came together to "unite Catholic women in an organized body in order to secure the influence needed for promotion of Catholic Social Action, Catholic Education, and Racial harmony with the Catholic Church in Canada." Their motto was "For God and Canada."
The Canadian League became affiliated with the International Union of Catholic Women's Leagues, later called the World Union of Catholic Women's Organizations (WUCWO). Catholic women across the country were encouraged to join the new organization. The first subdivision of the League in Saskatchewan was organized at Holy Rosary parish in Regina on September 8, 1919. The League was established in other communities such as Saskatoon, Prince Albert, Muenster, and Gravelbourg.
In 1943 the National Executive resolved to set up provincial committees of the Catholic Women's League in order that the League be in a position to seek representation for Catholic women on the official provincial committees set up by provincial governments of to deal with war, postwar and other patriotic projects. Ellen M. Drake, President of the Diocesan Council of the Archdiocese of Regina in 1943, was subsequently appointed Chair of the Provincial Council Committee. She was elected the first president of the Saskatchewan Council at the organizational meeting held in Rosary Hall in Saskatoon on March 12, 1948.