Item A-235 - Chemistry Building - Construction

Original Digital object not accessible

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Chemistry Building - Construction

General material designation

  • Graphic material

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description


Reference code


Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area


  • 1924 (Creation)

Physical description area

Physical description

1 photograph : b&w ; 18 x 27 cm
1 negative : b&w

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Custodial history

Scope and content

Looking northeast at the Chemistry Building as exterior nears completion; newly-planted trees in foreground.

Bio/Historical Note: The Department of Chemistry was established in 1910, and in 1912 conducted its first laboratory instruction in a poorly ventilated space in the basement of the College Building. The Chemistry Building opened in 1924 and was one of the last of the original stone collegiate gothic buildings designed by the Montreal architect David Brown. The building was sheathed in greystone and the façade has a castellated roof line and an arched portal. The four-storey building was built to house the colleges of Home Economics and Pharmacy, and the Department of Chemistry. It was the most elaborate of the early campus buildings. Designed specifically to meet the needs of teaching and research in chemistry, it was a far cry from the makeshift laboratories in the basement of the College Building and reflected the confidence of the 1920s. It faced not inward toward the Bowl and the original buildings, but outward to what was expected to be an expanding future. Dubbed by one critic as an “expensive show to make an impressive front,” it was to have a second identical north wing but depression and war brought a halt to all thoughts of capital expansion. The first floor was composed almost entirely of classrooms, with two small laboratories. An auditorium was located on the second floor, with a tile dome rising 68 feet, as well as laboratories featuring acid-proof lining on all fume vents and drains. Storerooms were located in the basement, with a sub-basement containing the ventilation, heating and sewage systems. The Chemistry Building was finally expanded with a second wing and was renamed in honour of Dr. Thorbergur Thorvaldson, professor and dean of Chemistry from 1919-1959. The Thorvaldson Building opened on 6 June 1966.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition


Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Photographer: Prof. Raymond K. Baker

Other terms: Researcher responsible for obtaining permission

Finding aids

Associated materials

Related materials


General note

See also B-374.

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Genre access points

Control area

Digital object (Master) rights area

Digital object (Reference) rights area

Digital object (Thumbnail) rights area

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres