Hafford Hospital

Identity area

Type of entity

Corporate body

Authorized form of name

Hafford Hospital

Parallel form(s) of name

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence

ca.1922–1941

History

Hafford Hospital was first built around 1922, by the Missionary Society of the Methodist Church. The first superintendent was the Rev. G. Dorey, who would later become Moderator of the United Church of Canada (successor to the Methodist Church in Canada). Dr. S.M. Scott was the first doctor to serve the hospital, followed by Dr. Rose, who was later joined by Dr. Paulson. The Hafford Hospital Ladies Aid Society, formed 1924, was involved in raising money to support hospital activities. After financial difficulties in the 1930s, the hospital was eventually closed, in 1941, due to lack of funds.

In 1946, the R.M. of Redberry and the Village of Hafford bought the building and its equipment from the Missionary Society, then re-opened it as the Hafford Union Hospital.

Places

Hafford, Saskatchewan (approx. 65 km east of North Battleford)

Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

Mandates/sources of authority

Internal structures/genealogy

General context

Relationships area

Related entity

United Church of Canada Battleford Presbytery (1925–2000)

Identifier of the related entity

SCAA-UCCS-0015

Category of the relationship

associative

Dates of the relationship

1925-1941?

Description of relationship

Related entity

Methodist Woman’s Missionary Society, Saskatchewan Branch (1909–1926)

Identifier of the related entity

SCAA-UCCS-0070

Category of the relationship

associative

Dates of the relationship

Description of relationship

Related entity

United Church Woman's Missionary Society, Saskatchewan Branch (1926–1962)

Identifier of the related entity

SCAA-UCCS-0072

Category of the relationship

associative

Dates of the relationship

Description of relationship

Related entity

Hardy, Ralph Willard (1890–1987)

Identifier of the related entity

SCAA-UCCS-0079

Category of the relationship

associative

Dates of the relationship

Description of relationship

Access points area

Place access points

Occupations

Control area

Authority record identifier

SCAA-UCCS-0160

Institution identifier

SCNUCSC

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Draft

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

2018: drafted for SAIN (by UCC Sask. Conf. Archives).
2021: revised in MemorySask.

Language(s)

  • English

Script(s)

Sources

David McLennan, "Hafford", in "The Encyclopedia of Saskatchewan" (Regina: Canadian Plains Research Centre, 2005); "A Walk Down Memory Lane: Hafford and District" (Hafford History Book Committee, 1983); United Church Year Books; Saskatchewan Conference Records of Proceedings.

Maintenance notes

  • Clipboard

  • Export

  • EAC

Related places