Title and statement of responsibility area
Saskatchewan Teachers College fonds
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
Physical description area
3.5 m of textual records and other material.
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
The Regina Normal School was established in 1893. The Moose Jaw Normal School opened in 1927. The Regina school closed in 1944. The Moose Jaw school closed in 1959, and its operations were transferred to a new school in Regina, which finally closed in 1964. Mandate: The Regina and Moose Jaw Normal Schools, along with their sister institution in Saskatoon, were responsible for administering teacher education programs in the then-Northwest Territories, and after 1905 in the newly-established Province of Saskatchewan. Predecessor and Successor Bodies: In 1964 the Regina Normal School closed and its functions assumed by the University of Saskatchewan Regina Campus (USRC). Administrative Relationships: From 1893 to 1905 the Normal Schools were administered by the Director of Normal Schools for the Northwest Territories. After 1905 they reported to a Superintendent of Education in the government of Saskatchewan, and later to the Deputy Minister of Education. Administrative Structure: During the periods when there were two Normal Schools, they were each organized separately under the control of a Principal. The Student Assembly was made up of an Executive body (President, Vice-President, etc), various clubs and committees, and executive bodies for each class. Names of the Corporate Bodies: It was originally called the Regina Provincial Normal School. The word "Provincial" was deleted when the Moose Jaw school opened, and they became known only as the Regina and Moose Jaw Normal Schools. In 1953 the Moose Jaw school was renamed the Saskatchewan Teachers College, Moose Jaw. After the move to Regina in 1959 it was called the Saskatchewan Teachers College, Regina. Other Significant Information: For most of its existence the Regina Normal School was located at the corner of Broad St. and College Ave. (1914-1939, 1959-1964). From 1930-1959 the Moose Jaw Normal School was located in what is now the SIAST Palliser Campus in Moose Jaw.
Scope and content
This fonds is divided into two sous-fonds: Administrative and Student Assembly. Administrative records come from both schools and are principally academic records of students (Accession Nos. 84-48 and 87-37) as well as some administrative correspondence and directives from the provincial Department of Education (Accession 85-30). The Student Assembly records are almost all from the Moose Jaw school and include minutes of meetings, financial records, and historical records (84-48 and 85-30). Student yearbooks ("Normal Echoes") are also available in the Publications Section of the Archives.
Immediate source of acquisition
The student Academic Records exist in two independent filing units in Accession Nos. 84-48 and 87-37. Both sets are filed alphabetically from A-Z by student name. Both sets include records which pre-date 1927 and post-date 1944, thus neither can be exclusively Moose Jaw or Regina Normal School records. The reason for this division is unclear.
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Restrictions to access of material as per Saskatchewan Freedom of Information and Privacy legislation.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Inventories and file lists are available.
Includes 18 photographs : b&w ; 85 X 30 cm and smaller, 8 scrapbooks ; 47 X 31 cm and smaller and 2 blueprints ; 92 X 92 cm