Type of entity
Authorized form of name
Tuxford Hospital Company Ltd.
Parallel form(s) of name
Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules
Other form(s) of name
Identifiers for corporate bodies
Dates of existence
The first doctor arrived in Tuxford, Saskatchewan in 1906.
The Tuxford Hospital Company Ltd. was formed in 1919 to provide hospital services to Tuxford and area. The first board consisted of James G. Knox - President, R.R. Bruce - Vice President, and J.J.G. Wilkinson as Treasurer. Other members of the first board were Mr.’s Kennedy, Hatchand, Storry, Black, McCartney and Astleford.
A two story hospital was opened in 1920 with Nurse Fisk as the first Matron and Dr. Storry attending.
The hospital must have often been marginal in terms of its financial success as minutes of 1931 are referred to as the meetings of liquidators. A meeting was scheduled for August 7, 1939 to wind up the affairs of the company. There is also legal correspondence re: non-payment of staff. It seems to have survived and continued to operate as a hospital until 1945.
The property was leased (ca. 1950) to a Kathleen Mary Gilmour who operated the building as an old age home until she sold the business to Miss L.A. Kirby in 1945. Kirby closed her business in 1965.
This marked the formal end of the Tuxford Hospital Company Limited. In 1965, the building was sold to Dave and Carol Little who renovated the building and continued to run it as an old age home.