Showing 29 results

Archival description
University of Saskatchewan - Crop Science Building√
Advanced search options
Print preview View:

27 results with digital objects Show results with digital objects

College Building - Exterior

Elevated view of the Bowl and College Building at centre; Crop Science and Engineering buildings at left. Taken from roof of Qu'Appelle Hall.

Bio/Historical Note: The College Building has changed names over the years. The “Administration Building” came into use by the 1950s and the “College Building” was back in use in 1987. Upon Peter MacKinnon’s retirement as University President in 2012, the building was renamed the “Peter MacKinnon Building."

College of Agriculture Building - Proposed Site

Looking east from the roof of the Chemistry Building at proposed site. Campus buildings (l to r): Veterinary Building, Engineering Building, Field Husbandry Building (Crop Science), Livestock Pavilion, Physics Building, College Building.

Bio/Historical Note: In the immediate post-World War II period construction was centred on what was called the “Agriculture Group” of buildings including the Virus Laboratory, School of Agriculture and the Soils and Dairy Laboratories. All three were built between 1948 and 1949, all were flat-roofed structures and all of them would be named after prominent members of the College of Agriculture’s faculty. They also introduced a fourth major building material to campus, yellow brick, which was chosen when the preferred greystone was unavailable. The campus was now colour coded: Engineering, red brick; Agriculture, yellow brick; and the Arts and the Sciences, stone. The main portion of the Soils and Dairy Science Building was divided more or less equally between the two departments. Greenhouses attached to the south end of the building were occupied by Field Husbandry and Forage Crops. The new Dairy Laboratory housed the latest equipment to process milk and milk products and supplied the University with all its milk, cheese and cream needs. In 1957, the building was renamed the John Mitchell Building after the professor and head of the Soils Department and director of the Saskatchewan Soil Survey who had died two years earlier. With the opening of the College of Agriculture Building, the John Mitchell Building became vacant in 1991. It was decided that Drama should move out of the Hangar Building and fill the space. After several renovations, including the conversion of the two large cheese and soil laboratories into theatre space, The Drama Department took up residence in September 1993.

Department of Field Husbandry Building - Construction

Excavating for foundation of the Field Husbandry Building. Two vehicles in foreground; construction equipment in background.

Bio/Historical Note: The Field Husbandry Building was conceived and constructed as a direct result of the fire that destroyed the Engineering Building in 1925. The Department of Field Husbandry, which had moved to Engineering four years earlier, lost its entire seed stock to the blaze. The Engineering Building that rose from the ashes was not, however, to include the Department of Field Husbandry. They were to have their own new and separate structure. Designed by David Brown, the stone clad structure was finished in 1929 at a cost of $260,000 and contained offices, classrooms and laboratories. The building also acted as a screen to mask the brick portion of campus from the buildings around the Bowl. In 1937 an addition, designed by local architect and University lecturer G.J.K. Verbeke, extended the building northward. The School of Medical Science moved into the addition from their cramped quarters in the College Building and stayed until the completion of the Medical College in 1950. Field Husbandry changed its name to Crop Science in 1962 and remained in the building until the College of Agriculture Building was completed in 1991. In 1997 the Department of Anthropology and Archaeology moved into the building, which was renamed accordingly. The Department of Anthropology was amalgamated with the Department of Religious Studies and relocated from the building in 2002; the building was subsequently renamed the Archaeology Building.

Results 1 to 15 of 29