Mostrar 80564 resultados

Archival description
Previsualizar a impressão Ver:

30564 resultados com objetos digitais Mostrar resultados com objetos digitais

Administration Building of the University of Saskatchewan

Front of the Administration Building taken from just to the side of Qu'Appelle Hall. Landscaping in the Bowl is incomplete. Engineering Building in the distance.

Bio/historical note: Designed by Brown and Vallance, Montreal Architects, the College (later known as Administration) building was constructed between 1910-12 by Smith Bros. and Wilson general contractors. Originally a general purpose building, designed in the shape of a capital E, and built at a cost of $297,000.00, the corner stone was laid by Sir Wilfrid Laurier, Prime Minister of Canada, on 29 July 1910. The building was officially opened by Walter Scott, Premier of Saskatchewan on 1 May 1913.

Administration Building of the University of Saskatchewan

Taken from the roof of the Chemistry Building. View east across the Bowl showing driveway and people walking. Prairie fields stretch to the horizon.

Bio/historical note: Designed by Brown and Vallance, Montreal Architects, the College (later known as Administration) building was constructed between 1910-12 by Smith Bros. and Wilson general contractors. Originally a general purpose building, designed in the shape of a capital E, and built at a cost of $297,000.00, the corner stone was laid by Sir Wilfrid Laurier, Prime Minister of Canada, on 29 July 1910. The building was officially opened by Walter Scott, Premier of Saskatchewan on 1 May 1913.

Administration Building of the University of Saskatchewan

Exterior view of the Administration Building from the front, showing stooks in the Bowl. Similar to A-32.

Bio/historical note: Designed by Brown and Vallance, Montreal Architects, the College (later known as Administration) building was constructed between 1910-12 by Smith Bros. and Wilson general contractors. Originally a general purpose building, designed in the shape of a capital E, and built at a cost of $297,000.00, the corner stone was laid by Sir Wilfrid Laurier, Prime Minister of Canada, on 29 July 1910. The building was officially opened by Walter Scott, Premier of Saskatchewan on 1 May 1913.

B.W. Currie - Portrait

Head and shoulders image of Balfour Currie, Dean of Graduate Studies and Professor of Physics.

Bio/Historical Note: Balfour Watson Currie, CC FRSC (1902-1981), was born in Montana and came to Saskatchewan at an early age. His parents moved to a farm homestead at Netherhill, near Kindersley. He came to the University of Saskatchewan as a student and received a Bachelor-level degree in Physics (1925) and a Master-level degree in Physics (1927). His Ph.D. program at McGill University was completed in 1930. He was a staff member of the Department of Physics at the University of Saskatchewan (1928-1981), was Professor of Physics (1943-1970), Head of the Department (1952-1961), founder of the Institute of Space and Atmospheric Studies (1956-1966), Dean of Graduate Studies (1959-1970) and Vice-president, Research (1967-1974). Early in his career, he spent two years in the Canadian Arctic. Currie and Frank Davies worked together at Chesterfield Inlet during the Second International Polar Year (1932-1933). An online archive of Currie's work on 2nd IPY studies of the Polar Year data continued under his direction at the University of Saskatchewan after World War II. Upon his retirement as Vice-president, he was appointed by the President of the University to be Special Advisor in Research Matters (1974-1978). Later in 1974, he became Canadian Coordinator of the International Magnetospheric Study, and gave it his fullest attention until its completion at the end of 1979. During this period, he also pursued an earlier research interest in the possible influence of solar activity on prairie weather and rainfall. In recognition of his outstanding contributions to his fields of study, he was elected a Fellow of the Royal Meteorology Society of Great Britain in 1940, and a Fellow of the Royal Society of Canada in 1947. In 1967, he received the Patterson Medal from the Canadian Meteorological and Oceanographic Society. In 1972, he was made a Companion of the Order of Canada "for his services to science and education especially in the fields of meteorology and climatology". He was awarded an Honourary Degree from the University of Saskatchewan in 1975. Currie died in Saskatoon in 1981.

Resultados 1 a 15 de 80564