An empty classroom with a poster featuring turkeys and the words "University of Saskatchewan Extension Dept." View from back of classroom looking towards blackboard.
Bio/Historical Note: Like many of the early campus buildings, the Poultry Building was designed by Brown and Vallance. Located immediately northeast of Rutherford Rink, it was completed in 1918, a few years after the establishment of a separate Department of Poultry Husbandry in 1916 by Raymond K. Baker, first professor of Animal Husbandry in 1913. The main section contained a basement space for egg testing, incubators and feed storage, offices on the main floor and a loft floor used as a lecture hall. The east wing was a brooder wing and housed the Records of Performance, for breeding stock. Students lived in the top floor of this wing and were responsible for tending the furnace. The basement contained incubators, a grading room and a small classroom. The one-storey west wing, designed by University architects, was added in 1956. A new facility was opened in 1985. The 1918 building, up for sale in October 2020, is slated for demolition to make room for an expansion on the Engineering Building.