Showing 11872 results

Archival description
University of Saskatchewan Photograph Collection
Advanced search options
Print preview View:

8859 results with digital objects Show results with digital objects

University of Saskatchewan Photograph Collection

  • RG 2104
  • Fonds
  • [ca. 1800s]-2000, predominant 1912-1980

The Photograph Collection consists primarily of images documenting the growth and development of the University of Saskatchewan. Images of faculty, students, staff, alumni, buildings, equipment, and various events and activities constitute the majority of the collection.

University of Saskatchewan. University Archives and Special Collections

College Building - Sod Turning

Image showing the first sod turning for the proposed College Building on the University of Saskatchewan campus. Dignitaries in attendance: E.L. Wetmore, University Chancellor; Walter C. Murray, University President; Rev. Colin G. Young, James Alexander Aikin, A.H. Smith, Thomas Edwin Perrett, D. Smith (contractor), Joseph Wright Sifton, W.J. Bell, George H. Ling, Duncan P. McColl, Augustus H. Ball, William Hopkins (mayor), William Rolston Sparling, Alexander R. Greig, J.C. Bell, William C. Sutherland, Ethan B. Hutcherson, Archibald P. McNab, James Alexander Calder, Asa Hutchinson, George E. McCraney, Mrs. Elizabeth Jane McCraney, P.E. MacKenzie, and Mrs. Agnes MacKenzie. Engineer's survey pole at centre of image.

Bio/Historical Note: Designated as a provincial heritage property in 1982 and as a National Historic Site in 2001, the University of Saskatchewan's first building has long served as the architectural, intellectual and emotional cornerstone of the campus. Designed by Brown and Vallance, the College Building was originally intended ultimately to house the College of Agriculture; but from the start, served numerous purposes. As early as April 1910, the floor plan included space for milk testing, butter making, cheese making, grain work; a gymnasium; several classrooms; offices for the Registrar, Dean of Agriculture, Director of Extension, and President; the original "faculty club"; laboratories; the library; and quarters for the janitor. After a sod-turning ceremony on 4 May 1910, the cornerstone was laid by Prime Minister Wilfrid Laurier on 29 July 1910. It was constructed between 1910-1912 by Smith Bros. and Wilson general contractors. The building was officially opened by Walter Scott, Premier of Saskatchewan, on 1 May 1913. The College Building serves as a memorial to much of the university's history: numerous plaques to individuals and organizations can be found in its interior, including memorial ribbons honouring members of the university community who served in the First World War. In 1997 the university created "Nobel Plaza" in front of the College Building, honouring two Nobel Laureates associated with the University: Gerhard Herzberg and Henry Taube. As the university grew, the College Building gradually became the administrative centre for the university. By the 1950s most of the original teaching facilities were taken over by new or expanded offices including those of the registrar, controller, alumni and news services, and presidential staff. The building became known as the Administration Building at this point, and later the "old Administration Building" to distinguish it from the new wing. This expansion continued through the 1960s and 1970s, particularly with the appointment of a university secretary and vice-presidents. While Convocation Hall became too small for regular Convocation ceremonies by 1930, it maintained its original, broader function as a venue for concerts, meetings, lectures, and other events. Parts of the building were declared to be unsafe in 1979, which led to the construction of the new wing of the Administration Building, opened in 1987. Most of the original building was closed, but Convocation Hall remained in use until 1997. The building was reopened and officially rededicated as the College Building in September 2005 after a major rehabilitation project. The rehabilitation was reported to be "one of the largest heritage conservation projects in Canada - second only to the work being done on Parliament Hill." In addition to senior administrative offices and Convocation Hall, it became home to the Museum of Antiquities and new gallery space for the University Art Collection. Upon completion in 2012 the University Board of Governors renamed the Administration Building the Peter MacKinnon Building, in honour of Peter MacKinnon, retiring University President and a driving force behind the project.

Emmanuel College Residence and Emmanuel and St. Chad Chapel

View looking northeast of Emmanuel College Residence in background and Emmanuel and St. Chad Chapel in foreground. Car parked on road in foreground.

Bio/Historical Note: The Emmanuel College Residence, completed in 1963, was designed by Webster, Forrester and Scott to accommodate 85 students, the college president and a caretaker. Located just north of the original Emmanuel College building, plans called for the two buildings to be linked, this, however, was never completed. Renamed in 1975, McLean Hall was named in honour of Rt. Rev. John McLean, the first Anglican bishop of Saskatchewan and founder of Emmanuel College. It was leased initially by the Federation of Saskatchewan Indians and then purchased by the University of Saskatchewan in 1983. The building has been home to the departments of Mathematics and Statistics and Native Studies, the Saskatchewan Urban Native Teacher Education Program (SUNTEP) and the University Employees’ Union.

Grey Owl - Research

Note on back: "Shirley Dawn (seated), daughter of the late naturalist Grey Owl, examines memorabilia associated with her father's life and work. Mrs. Georgeann Short, who is doing a study of Grey Owl for a masters thesis at the University of Saskatchewan, points out an item of interest".

Campus - Aerial Layout

View of campus looking west; Preston Avenue runs along bottom of image, with campus buildings at centre. East side residential area visible, with College Drive running along left side of image. 25th Street Bridge, river and west side in background.

Results 1 to 15 of 11872