Title and statement of responsibility area
Moose Jaw Community Centre Company fonds
General material designation
- Textual record
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
- Moose Jaw Community Centre Company
Physical description area
12.0 cm of textual records.
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
The Moose Jaw Arena owned by the City of Moose Jaw burned to the ground on August 27, 1955. On September 9, 1955, Mayor L.H.Lewry, assisted by the City Commissionaire and City Council called a public meeting to consider the construction of a new rink.
The first committee elected were Alfred J. Wickens, chairman; Jack Day, vice-chairman; Allen H. Wilson, secretary; and Gordon McCartney, treasurer. They were incorporated as the Moose Jaw Community Centre Company on July 9th, 1956. The articles of incorporation directed this company “to act as a holding company on behalf of the citizens of Moose Jaw and district”. It was directed “to complete, equip, maintain, manage and operate a civic or community centre in Moose Jaw”. The financing for construction was acquired through public pledges. In a plebiscite, city voters authorized the raising of $200,000.00 through debentures toward the construction of the Centre. The contract for the Centre was let at $525,000.00 to Pigott Construction Company of Saskatoon. Architect was Joseph Pettick of Regina, and structural engineer was J.L. Miller of Vancouver.
The Moose Jaw Community Centre (Civic Centre) was officially opened on Sept. 19, 1959. Effective July 1st, 1970 the Moose Jaw Community Centre was no longer responsible for the operation of the Civic Centre. The agreement of May 25th, 1965 between the City of Moose Jaw, the Moose Jaw Community Centre Company and the Moose Jaw Exhibition Company was terminated on April 13, 1970. The Moose Jaw Civic Centre was to be operated by a City Council appointed board. All assets of the Moose Jaw Community Centre were transferred to the City of Moose Jaw.
Scope and content
This fonds consists of legal contracts, minutes of meetings, financial records and statements, annual reports and correspondence of the Moose Jaw Community Centre Company from 1956 to 1970. Included is a historic timeline of the building of the Civic Centre, some schedules of events at the Civic Centre, a scrapbook of newspaper clippings and a file of newspaper clippings pertaining to business of the Company.
Immediate source of acquisition
Accession number 2.89. Donated by F.H. Wigmore, M.D.
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Finding aid and file list available. See attached finding aid.
Uploaded finding aid
No further accruals expected.
This fonds was boxed and re-foldered in 2004.
Boxes V-53, H-34