Type of entity
Authorized form of name
Moose Jaw Flying Club
Parallel form(s) of name
Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules
Other form(s) of name
Identifiers for corporate bodies
Dates of existence
The Moose Jaw Flying Club was founded and incorporated in 1928 by Howard Ingram, A. W. Macpherson and Richard W. (Dick) Ryan. The first president of the organization was T. J. Emerson K.C. The Government of Canada gave the club two D. H. Moth planes in 1928 as well as a grant of one hundred dollars per qualified student, who was physically fit and of British descent. In 1929, Ingram was appointed Inspector of Civil Aviation and Ryan Club Instructor. From 1928 to 1930, seven commercial pilots and eleven private pilots graduated from the course provided by the club. In 1930, George M. Ross was president and Walter F. Thorn was Chair of the Board of Directors. They operated from the Municipal Aerodrome (also known as the Rosedale Airport) on the corner of 12th Ave NW and Montgomery St. In 1930, the club sponsored a large flying meet with participants competing in a variety of speed and skill events, as well as a number of demonstrations. In 1935, the directors of the flying club formed Prairie Airways which operated a flying service operating Beech 18D aircraft and manufactured twin engine Cessnas during World War II. Prairie Airways was later bought by Canadian Pacific.
The Moose Jaw Flying Club has taken many shapes over the years, closing and reopening many times. Currently, the non-profit clubs works out of the Moose Jaw Municipal Airport. They operate a Cessna 150 aircraft available for flying members. Club meetings are held on the second Wednesday of every month at 7:00 pm.