Fonds MJ-079 - Providence Hospital fonds

Original Objet numérique not accessible

Zone du titre et de la mention de responsabilité

Titre propre

Providence Hospital fonds

Dénomination générale des documents

  • Document textuel
  • Dessin d'architecture
  • Dessin technique

Titre parallèle

Compléments du titre

Mentions de responsabilité du titre

Notes du titre

Niveau de description




Zone de l'édition

Mention d'édition

Mentions de responsabilité relatives à l'édition

Zone des précisions relatives à la catégorie de documents

Mention d'échelle (cartographique)

Mention de projection (cartographique)

Mention des coordonnées (cartographiques)

Mention d'échelle (architecturale)

Juridiction responsable et dénomination (philatélique)

Zone des dates de production


  • 1916-1994 (Production)
    Providence Hospital (Moose Jaw)

Zone de description matérielle

Description matérielle

16.5 cm of textual record.
21 sets of architectural drawings.
2 technical drawings.

Zone de la collection

Titre propre de la collection

Titres parallèles de la collection

Compléments du titre de la collection

Mention de responsabilité relative à la collection

Numérotation à l'intérieur de la collection

Note sur la collection

Zone de la description archivistique

Nom du producteur


Histoire administrative

The Sisters of Providence of St. Vincent de Paul arrived in Moose Jaw on November 13, 1912. The John F. Lindsay Home on the corner of Fourth Avenue and Ominica Street West(405 Ominica Street West) was purchased and opened as a thirty bed hospital on November 21, 1912. The first surgery was performed on November 28, 1912, and the first baby born was January 16, 1913.

Soon the hospital became congested. Land was purchased in 1915 for a new hospital. In 1916 construction began on a new building on Lillooet Street. Contractors were Cowlin and Sons of Toronto.

Architect was R.G. Bunyard of Moose Jaw. The new fifty bed Providence Hospital, 201 Lillooet Street East was officially opened and blessed on September 19, 1917 by Archbishop O. E. Mathieu of Regina.

The School of Nursing was opened in 1917 for fourteen students. The Director was Sister Mary Rapheal. The first graduation class in 1920 had 3 graduates. The last nursing class graduated in 1970.

The first Providence Hospital Auxiliary was formed in March 1913 with Mrs. W.W. Irwin as president. It disbanded in 1918 and reorganized again in 1950 with Mrs. H.C. Taylor as chairman.

The Auxiliary functioned to the close of the Hospital.

With the City of Moose Jaw growing rapidly, construction soon began on a new “East Wing”. Contractors were Bird & Woodel. Sixty-four beds were added and part of the new addition housed the School of Nursing and accommodation for the Sisters and nurses. The East Wing was officially opened by Governor General Lord Willingdon in May 1928.

In 1946 a nurses’ residence was constructed from administration buildings used by the Air Force training at Caron, Sask., during World War II.

The medical laboratory was constructed in 1950 under the direction of the first pathologist Dr. G. Kent. Training for medical laboratory technologists was opened in 1952 under the leadership of Sister Mary Cornelia. A two year program for radiology technician training started under the direction of Sister Mary Rosaire.

In 1960 construction began on the Jubilee (West) Wing. It was officially opened in 1962. Contractor was P.W. Graham & Sons of Moose Jaw. Facilities were improved in x-ray, physiotherapy, emergency and central supply, dietary, and medical records. The Jubilee Wing housed a new operating room suite with a recovery room and a new and expanded obstetrical suite.

In November 1967 pediatrics was centralized at the Union Hospital and obstetrics at the Providence Hospital. This facilitated better utilization of space and avoided duplication of services and costs.

In 1968 a sixteen bed self care unit was opened on the third floor of the East Wing. An intensive care unit of four beds was opened in 1969. Due to lack of Government funding this unit closed in 1975.

In 1973 work began on a forty-two bed long term care unit (level IV facility), completely renovating the second and third floors of the East Wing. The unit officially opened in 1974. In 1976 it was named the “Raphael Wing” in honour of Sister Mary Raphael.

The Day Hospital was established in 1979. It was a medically oriented program that enabled the elderly to maintain and/or enhance their independence, enabling them to live longer in their own homes.

On September 21, 1981 a Pastoral Care Department was opened under the direction of Sister Patricia Kelly.

A volunteer program was formed in 1987, directed by Patricia Boughen.

The Providence Hospital closed in 1995 when acute medical services were centralized at Moose Jaw Union Hospital and Providence Place was opened, replacing St. Anthony’s Home in caring for the aged of Moose Jaw and Southern Saskatchewan. The duties of the Sisters shifted from administration and direct medical services to pastoral care. The Providence Hospital building was sold to a developer who let it deteriorate to a state of disrepair. The City of Moose Jaw had the building demolished in the fall of 2006.

Historique de la conservation

Portée et contenu

This fonds is composed of three series. Included is a mission statement, rules and regulations for medical staff, an invitation to a Nursing School graduation and a program from a fund-raising event. There is material related to the building service employees. The second series is a compilation of hospital assets and inventory of equipment, some with descriptions and instructions. The third series consists of blueprints, drawings, specifications and correspondence pertaining to construction of the Providence Hospital in 1917 and all the additions and renovations made to the facility over the years.

Zone des notes

État de conservation

Many of the blueprints are brittle.

Source immédiate d'acquisition

Accession Number: 1.4/89 donated to the archives by Doug Smith.


Langue des documents

  • anglais

Écriture des documents

Localisation des originaux

Disponibilité d'autres formats

Restrictions d'accès

Délais d'utilisation, de reproduction et de publication

Instruments de recherche

Finding aid and file list available. See attached finding aid.

Instrument de recherche téléversé

Éléments associés

Éléments associés


No further accruals expected.


This fonds was foldered, re boxed and portion was encapsulated in 2006.

Location note

Boxes V-122 - V-123, OS-10, OS-23 - OS-24

Identifiant(s) alternatif(s)

Zone du numéro normalisé

Numéro normalisé


Mots-clés - Sujets

Mots-clés - Lieux

Mots-clés - Noms

Mots-clés - Genre

Zone du contrôle

Objet numérique (Fichier maître) zone des droits

Objet numérique (Référence) zone des droits

Objet numérique (Vignette) zone des droits

Zone des entrées

Sujets associés

Personnes et organismes associés

Lieux associés

Genres associés