Zona do título e menção de responsabilidade
Regina General Hospital Photograph Collection
Designação geral do material
- Material gráfico
Outra informação do título
Título e menções de responsabilidade
Notas ao título
Nível de descrição
Código de referência
Zona de edição
Menção de edição
Menção de responsabilidade da edição
Zona de detalhes específicos de materiais
Menção da escala (cartográfica)
Menção da projecção (cartográfica)
Menção das coordenadas (cartográfico)
Menção da escala (arquitectura)
Autoridade emissora e denominação (filatélica)
Zona de datas de criação
- Regina General Hospital
- Regina (Sask.)
- Regina General Hospital
- Regina (N.W.T.)
Zona de descrição física
2726 photographs and other material
Zona dos editores das publicações
Título próprio do recurso continuado
Títulos paralelos das publicações do editor
Outra informação do título das publicações do editor
Menção de responsabilidade relativa ao editor do recurso contínuo
Numeração das publicações do editor
Nota sobre as publicações do editor
Zona da descrição do arquivo
Nome do produtor
Hospital services in Regina began in 1896 when the Land Titles Building at the corner of Hamilton Street and 13th Avenue was rented, furnished and equipped as the new six-bed hospital. The Victoria Order of Nurses provided nursing services to the Cottage Hospital, as it was called, under an appointed Board of Directors. In 1899, a new building was erected on Hamilton Street south of 14th Avenue, funded by public subscription and a contribution from the VON. The new 25-bed facility, named Victoria Hospital, was ready for service in 1900 and officially opened in September 1901. A Training School for Nurses was launched in this hospital in 1902, as the VON had ceased to provide nursing services. In 1907 the City of Regina Health and Relief Department assumed control of the hospital which was renamed the Regina General Hospital. A new 100-bed facility was completed in 1911 at the present site on 14th Avenue. The buildings underwent many additions and renovations over the years and by 1950 bed capacity had reached 807. Construction continued during the 1950s and 1960s, and an extensive Regeneration Program was carried out during the 1980s and 1990s. In 1974, Regina General Hospital was taken over by the Province of Saskatchewan, and the consolidation of health services followed. Reorganisation of Saskatchewan health services commenced in 1992, resulting in the establishment of the Regina District Health Board (14 February 1992) and the Regina Health District (May 1993). Regina General Hospital became one of several facilities integrated in the new district health services plan under the management of one administration and one Board. In 2002 the District amalgamated with two others to form the Regina Qu'Appelle Regional Health Authority. As one of two tertiary care institutions, the Regina General Hospital continues to hold a key role in the Region's integrated health care system. The following individuals have served as Superintendent or Executive Director of Regina General Hospital: Charles Barton (1948-1965), Dr. Ernest Appleyard (1953-1958), Dr. A. Pickles (1965-1967), H. M. J. Westcott (1967-1968), E. C. (Edward) Emery (1968-1975), Dr. D. W. Carnduff (1975- 1976), and Royce H. Gill (1976-1993).
Nome do produtor
Nome do produtor
When the Regina General Hospital Museum/Archives Committee was established in 1982, significant photographs were identified throughout the hospital and relocated to the museum for preservation. Private donations were also solicited. Later donations to the museum were made by various hospital departments and by private individuals. Provenance for many of the photographs is unclear.
Âmbito e conteúdo
Collection consists of photographs documenting the history and development of the Regina General Hospital. Photographs depict physicians, staff, volunteers, and patients of the hospital; the interior and exterior of the hospital buildings, including renovations and construction; equipment; employee events and leisure activities; students, including graduation ceremonies and portraits; patient care services; museum artifacts and displays; and the Red Cross Blood Transfusion Services. Photographs also depict the buildings of the Pasqua Hospital, Plains Health Centre, and Wascana Rehabilitation Centre. Prominent individuals featured in photographs include Executive Directors: Charles E. Barton, Dr. Ernest Appleyard, A. C. Pickles, H. M. J. Westcott, Dr. D. W. Carnduff, Edward C. Emery, and Royce H. Gill; Chairmen of the Board of Governors: Gordon B. Grant (also Minister of Public Health), Donald M. McPherson, Ken P. R. Hodges, C. Hewitt Helmsing, F. M. (Mike) Badham, and Orville L. Off; and members of the Board of Governors. Also depicted are H.G.R. (Harry) Walker and H. H. P. (Henry) Baker, Mayors of Regina; Walter C. Smishek and Herman H. Rolfes, Ministers of Health; and Isobel Colvin, Administrator (Patient Care) and Director of the School of Nursing, and Eleanor Linnell, Director, Nursing Education. Celebrities depicted include Ernie Coombs (Mr. Dressup), child entertainer; and Nancy Greene (Raine), world class skier.
Zona das notas
Fonte imediata de aquisição
Photographs of known provenance have been arranged in two series based on creator. Photographs of unknown provenance have been arranged in the General Photographs series
Idioma do material
Script do material
Localização de originais
Disponibilidade de outros formatos
Restrições de acesso
Some restrictions apply
Termos que regulam o uso, reprodução e publicação
Copyright restrictions may apply for some photographs. See item level descriptions for further detail.
Instrumentos de descrição
Item level descriptions available on photo database
Related material: Other records relating to the Regina General Hospital may be found in the Regina General Hospital fonds and the Regina Health District fonds. Other records relating to the Regina General Hospital School of Nursing and the experiences of nursing students may be found in the Regina General Hospital School of Nursing fonds, the Etta Birdsall fonds, and in the fonds of nursing alumnae Lesley Weston Ellis, Edna Carson Korpan, Lynn McRorie Robertson, Nora Kitchen Eddy, and Eleanor Linnell.
Associated material: For records of the Regina General Hospital School of Nursing, see Saskatchewan Archives Board, Regina General Hospital School of Nursing fonds, 1902-1972, R-132.
No further accruals are expected.
Collection includes 2726 photographs : b&w and col. ; 35.4 x 100.5 cm or smaller. -- 731 negatives : b&w and col. ; 10.0 x 12.5 cm or smaller. -- 150 slides : b&w and col. ; 5.0 x 5.0 cm and 4.9 x 4.9 cm. -- 19 posters. -- 2 postcards
Accessions 1999.13; 1999.69; 1999.72; and 1999.79, photo nos. 1-86, 100-338, 340-342, 344-404, 406-409, 412-436, 438-468, 471-474, 478-489, 491-531, 533-536, 542, 544-571, 574-585, 588-1656, 1659, 1661-1689, 1691-1809, 1811-1953, 1971-2135, 2138-2179, 234