Title and statement of responsibility area
Yorkton Presbytery fonds
General material designation
- Textual record
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Variations in title: Previously identified as Yorkton Presbytery sub-series (A.381.XI.D.22).
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
- United Church of Canada Abernethy-Yorkton Presbytery
1925–1953, 1956–1996 (Creation)
- United Church of Canada Yorkton Presbytery
- Records pre-date the United Church of Canada (1925)
Physical description area
76 cm (approx.) of textual records
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
Yorkton Presbytery was one of the original 16 presbyteries established by the first General Council of the United Church of Canada (June 1925), to be part of the new Saskatchewan Conference. Initial boundaries were based on the previous Yorkton Presbytery, which had been part of the Presbyterian Synod of Saskatchewan. Prior to Union, in 1925, there had also been a Yorkton District, in the Saskatchewan Conference of the Methodist Church.
In 1953, pastoral charges from part of Abernethy Presbytery (east of Highway 35) were added and the combined presbytery was re-named Abernethy-Yorkton. In 1956, after a merger of Abernethy-Yorkton and Kamsack Presbyteries, the new combined body returned to the name Yorkton Presbytery. The name was changed to Parkland Presbytery in 1992.
In 2000, Saskatchewan Conference went from 10 presbyteries to 7, with each adopting a new name. Most pastoral charges from Parkland Presbytery became part of the new Good Spirit Presbytery.
Name of creator
Abernethy-Yorkton Presbytery was created in 1953, through the merging of Yorkton Presbytery and part of Abernethy Presbytery (east of Highway 35). In 1956, Abernethy-Yorkton amalgamated with Kamsack Presbytery and the resulting body returned to the earlier name, Yorkton Presbytery.
Most records in the fonds were likely transferred to the archives between 1925 and the early 1990s. The original provenance is unclear, though administrative and committee records may have come directly from presbytery secretaries, committee members, delegates or other associated individuals.
From 1925 through to 1982, the official repository for Conference, Presbytery and local records of the United Church in Saskatchewan was at St. Andrew’s College (Saskatoon). In 1982, the Conference signed an agreement to house their records with the Saskatchewan Archives Board (later Provincial Archives of Saskatchewan), while still retaining ownership and management responsibilities. The collections were gradually relocated and continue to be stored with the Provincial Archives, to the present day.
Scope and content
The fonds consists of textual materials generated by Yorkton-Abernethy and Yorkton (later Parkland) Presbyteries, their secretaries, committees and related bodies, in fulfillment of their responsibilities, as outlined in the Manual of the United Church of Canada.
Contents include meeting minutes, correspondence, secretarial notebooks, property files, and documents relating to the Congregational Life and Work Committee.
Immediate source of acquisition
Original order for many of these records is unclear. Items listed under A.381.XI.D.22 were arranged sometime before 1990.
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Microfilm copy of some records: PAS reel no. R10.1.[31?]; stored reel no. 84.053C-12 (A.923.SA.2108).
Restrictions on access
Some records are restricted, to protect personal information.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Use, publication, and/or reproduction of records are subject to the conditions of the Copyright Act. Please consult archivist for assistance.
GS-168 includes original file and series listings, in sections A.381.XI.D.22, A.785.SA.892 to 894, and under XXIII. Additional microfilm contents listed in finding aid IR-12.
Uploaded finding aid
Digital copies of select documents are also held by the National Centre for Truth and Reconciliation (NCTR), in Manitoba.
Textual records: A.381.XI.D.22.1 to 14; A.785.SA.892 to SA.894; XXIII.SR.1937 to SR.1938