Mostrando 14862 resultados

Names

Towriss, Brian

  • USASC-0001
  • Persona
  • 1956-

Brian Towris started as an assistant coach under Val Schneider in 1980 before taking over the team as head coach in 1984. He spent four seasons as a defensive lineman for the Huskies from 1974-77 and was named a conference all-star in 1974. The Moose Jaw native has led Saskatchewan to three Vanier Cup titles, 11 Hardy Cup titles and nine Vanier Cup appearances. He is a seven-time Canada West coach of the year and one time CIS coach of the year. He retired as Head Coach in 2016.

University of Regina. University Controllers

  • URA 001
  • Entidade coletiva
  • 1974 - 1991

Mandate:The University Controller's Office was responsible for administering financial activities of the University of Regina. Included under their mandate were such things as: contracts, services, faculty and staff matters. These matters dealt with accountable allowances, and charitable donations, university pension fund, the administration of grants, scholarships and funds, and university insurance. Predecessor and successor bodies:The University Controller's Office was established on July 1, 1974. Prior to 1974, the University Controller was known as the Office of the Assistant Controller, University of Saskatchewan Regina Campus. In 1984 the title of the Controller was changed to Associate Vice President of finances and Services and Controller. In 1988, the Controller, S.G.Mann, retired. In 1991 the office was dissolved and became the duties of the Associate Vice-President of Administrative Services. Administrative relationships:The Controller, S.G.Mann, reported to the President of the University, Dr. Lloyd Barber. Administrative structures:The University Controller's Office consisted of the Controller, and one secretary.

Bell, J. Milton

  • UASC0006
  • Persona
  • 1922-1998

J. Milton Bell was born on a farm at Islay, Alberta, 16 January 1922. He obtained his senior matriculation in 1939 at Scott, Saskatchewan and went on to graduate with a diploma from the two-year course in general agriculture at Vermilion, Alberta. He obtained a Bachelor of Science in Agriculture from the University of Alberta in 1943, a Master of Science in 1945 from McGill University, a Ph.D. in 1948 from Cornell University and a D.Sc. in 1986 from McGill University. Dr. Bell joined the Department of Animal Husbandry, University of Saskatchewan in 1948. He was head of the Department from 1954 to 1975 when he assumed the position of Associate Dean (Research) in the College of Agriculture for five years. He retired in 1989, continuing his research as Professor Emeritus. Dr. Bell has contributed much to the animal industry through his nutrition research at the University of Saskatchewan and has published over 160 papers in scientific journals including book chapters. He has served on numerous agricultural committees across Canada, including the first chairmanship of the Research Committee of the Rapeseed Association of Canada, later the Canola Council of Canada. He was President of the Groupe Consultafatif International de Recherche sur le Colza (GCIRC), headquartered in Paris 1990-1993, and chaired the Eighth International Rapeseed Congress held in Saskatoon in July 1991. Dr. Bell has received numerous awards and honours, including the Order of Canada in 1973 and membership in the Saskatchewan Agricultural Hall of Fame in 1989.

Bell, J.M.

  • UASC0005
  • Persona
  • 1922-1998

John Milton Bell (1922-1998) was born in islay, Alberta. He joined the faculty of the Department of Animal Husbandry at the University of Saskatchewan in 1948. He served as Department Head from 1954-1975, then as Associate Dean from 1975-1980, and finally as the Burford Hooke Research Chair until his retirement in 1990. He earned a BSc in Agriculture at the University of Alberta in 1943, an MSc from McGill University in 1945, and a PhD at Cornell University in 1948, specializing in nutrition. Bell was an active member of a small team of plant breeders, nutritionists and chemists that developed canola as a major crop for Canadian farmers. His work with rapeseed, begun in the early 1950s, involved basic nutritional research but also branched into toxicology and the mechanism of action of goitroigens and glucosinolates in swine and mice. Bell worked co-operatively with plant breeders and other animal nutritionists in defining the detrimental characteristics in rapeseed, which eventually gave rise to the development of canola and the effective utilization of canola meal in livestock rations.
Bell served as president of the Canadian Society of Animal Science in 1952, also serving on the editorial board of the Journal of Nutrition, the Canadian Journal of Animal Science, and the Journal of the European Association of Animal Production. In recognition of his many contributions, he received more than twenty major awards including Fellow of the Agriculture Institute of Canada (FAIC), Fellow of the Royal Society of Canada (FRSC), Doctor of Science (McGill University), and Officer in the Order of Canada. He was invested into the Saskatchewan Agricultural Hall of Fame. Bell’s dedication to the field of animal nutrition was demonstrated by his response to receiving the James McAnsh Award from the Canola Council of Canada. Bell, the first recipient of this award, chose not to accept the cash award, and directed that the money be used to establish the J.M. Bell Post Graduate Scholarship in Animal Nutrition at the U of S. Bell died in Saskatoon in 1998.

Agriculture Building (University of Saskatchewan)

  • UASC0003
  • 1988-present

Original plans for the Agriculture Building had it joining Kirk Hall, the John Mitchell Building and Crop Science, but the architects, Folstad-Friggstad, instructed to provide “a highly visible complex for the College,” proposed a stand-alone building intended to state the importance of the College of Agriculture to the University. It is the first major building on campus clad with glass rather than brick or stone.

The original structure cost $91,000,000 and was constructed between 1988-1991. It consisted of five floors, with 164 research labs, 38 teaching labs, 182 offices, 9 classrooms, 4 computer training facilities, 6 conference rooms, and 167 controlled environment plant growth facilities. In addition it has an impressive inner courtyard, the Atrium, and is home to the Kenderdine Gallery, named in honour of the University’s first art instructor.

Numerous private and corporate donors contributed to the building fund.

The structure had been designed to enable future expansion, and by 2000 a sixth floor was added at a construction cost of $10,000,000. The new addition was intended to house Animal and Poultry Science, Food Science, and Bioinsecticide Research.

Kristjanson, Dr. L.F.

  • UASC0002
  • Persona
  • February 28, 1932 - August 21, 2005

eo Kristjanson was born on February 28, 1932, the youngest of eight children. As a child, he worked at his parents’ general store in Gimli, Manitoba in addition to working on the family farm. He attended the University of Winnipeg, earning a BA and MA in history. In 1957 he began studies in Agricultural Economics at the University of Wisconsin. Upon finishing his course work in 1959, he accepted a position with the Centre for Community Studies at the University of Saskatchewan. The Centre had been established to undertake a program of applied social research related to the development of Saskatchewan communities. In 1960 he began lecturing in the Department of Economics and Political Science, and completed his PhD in 1963. In 1965, Kristjanson joined the Department of Economics and Political Science. He was vice-president (Planning) of the University from 1975 to 1980, and in 1980 he became president. Illness prevented him from completing his second term, and he retired in 1989. The atrium in the Agriculture building at the University of Saskatchewan is named in honour of his contribution to the University.

As president, Kristjanson sought funding for agricultural research and a new College of Agriculture building. He formed a “Sodbuster’s Club” to raise planning funds and undertook a leadership role in raising over $12,000,000 from private sources for the construction of the building. He was also instrumental in improving the Soil Testing Laboratory, the Poultry Centre, the Kernan Crop Research Laboratory, the Horticulture Field Service Building, the Saskatchewan Institute of Pedology’s Field Facilities, and the Large Animal Research Facility. He was also instrumental in having an art gallery become part of the new College of Agriculture building, named in honour of the first resident artist at the university, August Kenderdine. Also during his term as president, the Centre for the Study of Co-operatives, the Toxicology Research Centre and the Centre for Agricultural Medicine were established.

Kristjanson made major contributions to rural Saskatchewan as a consultant to Farm Organizations, Co-operatives, credit unions, and governments. He served on boards and participated in projects designed to improve living conditions for farmers and their communities. He was chairman of the Saskatchewan Natural Products Marketing Council from 1973 to 1979; a member of a committee to recommend restructuring of the Department of Co-operation; and chairman of the Board of Public Inquiry into the Poplar River Power Project, a provincial study of the environment. He also wrote extensively and has given many public speeches on co-operatives, population and rural development, marketing boards, and commissions. Leo Kristjanson was inducted into the Saskatchewan Agricultural Hall of Fame in 1990. He died on August 21, 2005.

Saskatchewan Cancer an Medical Research Institute

  • UASC0001
  • 1958-2009

The Saskatchewan Cancer and Medical Research Institute was officially opened on 10 May 1958 by Premier T.C. Douglas. Clad in locally quarried greystone with limestone panels, it was the last of the buildings that constituted the University’s Medical Complex’s initial phase. Designed by Izumi, Arnott and Sugiyama and completed at a cost of $783,000, the building’s purpose was to provide shared accommodation for both general medical research and cancer specific investigations. Funding came from the federal and provincial governments and the provincial and national branches of the Canadian Cancer Society. A planned third floor was added in 1966. The building was "deconstructed" in 2009, with much of the building's material recycled including the greystone cladding for use with the E Wing that opened in 2013.

Sutherland, Stacy

  • SCNSTS
  • Persona
  • [19-]-

grandson of David Joseph Lafond

St. Micheal's Indian Residential School (Duck Lake, Saskatchewan)

  • SCNSMRS
  • Entidade coletiva
  • 1892-1996

A Roman Catholic school that was built in May 1894. Children were taught in English with an emphasis on industry rather than scholarship. The original school burned down in 1927 but was rebuilt. In the 1960s, administrative control transferred to Band control. The school was closed in 1996.

Ledoux, Nora

  • SCNNL
  • Persona
  • April 22, 1929

Nora (nee Arcand) Ledoux was born on the Muskeg Lake Cree Nation on April 22, 1929 to Joseph and Adeline Arcand. Nora stayed at home on the reserve with her parents until September of 1936, when she was sent to the St. Michael's Indian Residential School in Duck Lake, Saskatchewan. She attended St Michael's school until she was discharged in the spring of 1945. She then returned to her home community, Muskeg Lake Cree Nation. After returning home, Nora worked at a café called Winks in Blaine Lake, Saskatchewan. She also took jobs as a domestic for farmers in the area surrounding Muskeg Lake Cree Nation. Nora married Vincent Ledoux on April 23, 1951. Nora had nine children (Geraldine Marie 1950, Myrtle Rosalie 1952-1986, Vivian Adeline 1954, Gilbert Charles 1955, Emily Mary 1957, Donna Blanche 1960, Joey Anthony 1962, Dennis Vincent 1964, and Brenda Lee 1967). Nora and Vincent farmed on the Muskeg Lake Cree Nation. Although farming was hard work, Nora remembers how the whole community would help each other out: "it was an everyday occurrence to give a helping hand to other farmers. It was nice. No one would have to ask. They'd just show up and offer to help." In 1972, Nora was hired by Indian and Northern Affairs Canada to work in the Marcelin School as a guidance councilor. Nora's position was eventually transferred from Indian and Northern Affairs Canada to the Blaine Lake School Division and Nora held her position with Marcelin School until she retired in 1987. Nora's husband Vincent had passed away July 25, 1981 after 30 years of marriage. Nora lives on the Muskeg Lake Cree Nation where she is retired, but is an active Elder in the community and an avid fan of all forms of sports.

Muskeg Lake Cree Nation

  • SCNMLCNID
  • Entidade coletiva
  • [1980-]

The Muskeg Lake Cree Nation has determined the importance of preserving the Treaty Land Entitlement documents. The Treaty Land Entitlement Process began in the early 1980's when Chief Wallace Tawpisim discovered that Muskeg Lake may be an Entitlement Band. With the assistance of Cy Standing, from Wahpeton, Sol Sanderson, Federation of Saskatchewan Indian Chief, and the Council of Muskeg Lake, consisting of Alpha Lafond, Dave Lafond, Sam Arcand, Andrew Greyeyes and Clifford Tawpisin, research began on the possibility of Muskeg Lake having a claim to Land. Once the research was completed, and Muskeg Lake realized that the Nation had a valid land claim, Chief Wallace Tawpisin and the council hired Lester Lafond as the Treaty Land Entitlement Coordinator. Lester Lafond pursued land that would possibly be available for purchase, and came across the 45 acres in the City of Saskatoon. Along with this 45 acres were other lands in different areas of Saskatchewan that the Band was looking at to put a claim on. Once the initial claim was made, the negotiations began. Negotiations were held with the Federal Government and the City of Saskatoon. In 1984 the mayor of Saskatoon was Cliff Wright; Federal Indian Affairs Minister was David Crombie. In 1986 Honourable Bill McKnight was assigned as the Minister of Indian Affairs and continued negotiating and assisting Muskeg Lake in the negotiations for the Sutherland Land Entitlement Claim. Two years later after many negotiation meetings and a lot of work, the purchase of the "Sutherland Property" became reality. In September 1992, the Treaty Land Entitlement Frame Work Agreement was signed with the Saskatchewan Entitlement Bands, the Federal and Provincial Governments. After the Band signed the Framework Agreement, a Trustee Committee was formed to oversee the Land Purchases and look after the funds in Trust to the Band. The first Trustees were, Lorne Larson, Band Lawyer, Mervyn J. Arcand, David Greyeyes-Steele and Bernard Arcand and Chief Harry Lafond. In 1998 under the leadership of Chief Harry James Lafond, the Band acquired the 3072 acres of new reserve land under the terms of the Treaty Land Entitlement Settlement Agreement. Throughout the years and to the present, lands and business purchases are being made. The Treaty Land Entitlement process is a complicated and difficult process to understand. It is the Council's hope that with this collection, researchers, community members and the upcoming generations will be able to discover how important the Treaty Land Entitlement Process was and continues to be for the economic stability of Muskeg Lake Cree Nation.

Venne, Georgina (Lafond)

  • SCNGVL
  • Persona
  • July 3, 1930 -

Georgina (nee Lafond) Venne was born on July 3, 1930, at home on Muskeg Lake Cree Nation, Saskatchewan. Georgina is one of twelve children born to August and Rose (nee Moreau) Lafond. Georgina spent her early years at home with her parents. In 1938, she was sent to St. Michael's Indian Residential School in Duck Lake, Saskatchewan. Georgina's mother was a Métis woman and the family was fluent in the language of michif and while at the residential school the nuns would not speak French in front of the Lafond children. Georgina stayed at St. Michael's Residential School until 1946. After leaving residential school, Georgina returned to Muskeg Lake to help her mother at home. In April of 1948 Georgina moved to Fort Saskatchewan, Alberta to work as a domestic. Georgina returned to Muskeg Lake Cree Nation in September of the same year. Georgina married Emile Venne (a veteran of the Second World War) on October 4, 1948. Georgina and Emile had ten children (Annabelle Jean 1950, Marvin Bernard 1951, Emil Rodney 1953, Albert 1955, Kerry Dale 1958, Perry 1962-1969, Darcy Wayne 1963, Colleen Rose 1966, Shane Lee 1970 and Debra Marie in 1976). Emile and Georgina ran a small family farm on the Muskeg Lake Cree Nation in the early years of their marriage. Emile was elected Chief of Muskeg Lake in 1956 and served until 1958. In 1961, Emile accepted a job as a farm instructor for The Department of Indian Affairs. Due to the nature of his job, Emile and his family resided in various Saskatchewan communities including: Fishing Lake First Nation, Big River First Nation and Beardy's and Okemasis First Nation. The Vennes settled in Saskatoon in 1970. Emile retired from Indian Affairs in 1983. Georgina was widowed January 8, 1999 after 50 years of marriage.

Resultados 1 a 15 de 14862