Showing 12143 results

Names

8th Reconnaissance Regiment

  • SCAA-SCM-0001
  • Corporate body
  • 1941-1958

Eight Recce was formed at Guillemont Barracks, near Aldershot in southern England, on March 11, 1941, by merging three existing squadrons within the division. Its first commanding officer was Lieutenant Colonel Churchill C. Mann. Mann was succeeded as commanding officer on September 26, 1941, by Lieutenant Colonel P. A. Vokes, who was in turn followed on February 18, 1944, by Lieutenant Colonel M. A. Alway. The last commanding officer was Major "Butch" J. F. Merner, appointed to replace Alway a couple of months before the end of the fighting in Europe.

8 Recce had its roots in the 14th Canadian Light Horse, a militia unit formed in 1920. One source claims the unit was the union of the 27th Light Horse and the 14th Canadian Mounted Rifles, but the official lineage shows no amalgamation in 1920, just a renaming of the 27th Light Horse. Authoritative lists of units in the Active Militia and the Canadian Expeditionary Force show no record of a "14th Canadian Mounted Rifles" – there were only 13 regiments of mounted rifles organized in the CEF. In any event, the 14th Canadian Light Horse in the 1920s was headquartered in Swift Current, Saskatchewan. It comprised 'A', 'B' and 'C' Squadrons based at Swift Current, Swift Current and Shuanavon, respectively. In 1937 the regiment was designated a mechanized unit, and in 1940 the regiment was renamed the 14th Canadian Hussars. In 1941 an Active Service regiment was mobilized, and its members joined with other reconnaissance personnel in England to form 8 Recce.

A.B.

Abbey Pastoral Charge

  • SCAA-UCCS-0232
  • Corporate body
  • 1925–1957, ca.1970–1972

Abbey Pastoral Charge was formed as a new United Church charge in 1925, part of Swift Current Presbytery and containing preaching points at Abbey, Shackleton and Badger Mound. Later additions included preaching points at Lancer and Roe (before 1951), Portreeve and Lemsford.

In 1957, the charge combined with Leader Pastoral Charge (including Leader, Sceptre and Prelate) to form Leader-Sceptre-Abbey Pastoral Charge. Sometime near 1970, Abbey United Church separated, forming Abbey-Trinity Pastoral Charge. Around 1972, Lancer and Portreeve joined with Abbey to become Abbey-Lancer-Portreeve Pastoral Charge.

Abbey-Lancer-Portreeve Pastoral Charge

  • SCAA-UCCS-0231
  • Corporate body
  • ca.1972–

Abbey-Lancer-Portreeve Pastoral Charge was formed around 1972, from the combination of Abbey-Trinity Pastoral Charge with the preaching points at Lancer and Portreeve (previously part of Leader-Sceptre Pastoral Charge).

Aberdeen Pastoral Charge

  • SCAA-UCCS-0401
  • Corporate body
  • 1925–197?, 1994–2008

Aberdeen Pastoral Charge, originally Vonda Pastoral Charge, was created as a United Church charge in 1925, part of Saskatoon Presbytery and consisting of preaching points at Vonda and Aberdeen. By 1940, the name had changed to Aberdeen Pastoral Charge. Sometime around the 1970s, the charge joined Rosthern (St. Andrew's) and Wakaw to create Tri-Pastoral Charge. On July 1, 1994, TRI Pastoral Charge was dissolved and Aberdeen Pastoral Charge re-emerged. The charge was officially closed April 20, 2008.

Results 31 to 45 of 12143