Russell Yuristy was born in Goodeve, Sask. in 1936. He moved to Silton, Sask. in 1969. In 1959 he received his B.A. from the University of Saskatchewan, Saskatoon Campus. He received his M.A. from the University of Wisconsin in 1967 with a major in painting and a minor in graphics. He taught drawing and painting at the University of Saskatchewan, Regina Campus from 1967-71 and was Administrator of the Emma Lake Artists' Workshops from 1968-70. Yuristy is best known for his large animal playground sculptures. He has built sculptures in Ottawa, Spokane (Washington), Churchill (Manitoba), Swift Current, Saskatoon, Vancouver (for Expo '86) and in Regina. In 1986 he moved to Ottawa and taught some classes at the University of Ottawa and the Ontario College of Art. He moved to Montreal in 1990.