Showing 9666 results

Names

Aikenhead, Wesley

  • SCAA-MDM-0001
  • Person
  • 1905-2002?

Wesley Aikenhead was born to Jim Aikenhead and Amanda Aikenhead (Eastman). Wesley worked as an insurance agent. As well, he was a Light Infantry Major in the Reserve Army based in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan. Wesley was foundational in the development in the Melfort and District Museum. His large donations of artifacts made up the bulk of the museum's early collection. Wesley's grandfather, Peter Aikenhead, and his family came to the Melfort area from Ontario in 1982. The following year Peter and two of his sons, including Wesley's father Jim, homesteaded in the area. Jim Aikenhead's homestead was located at the South Quarter of Section 4, Township 45, Range 18.

A.K.A. Gallery

  • Corporate body

In 1971 Shoestring founders Dorothy Boerma, Lorna Cutting, Ann Newdigate Mills, Jo Shepherd and Betty Warnock "to come to terms with the lack of local exhibition space, the lack of communication with their fellow artists and the public and the lack of sales opportunity" rented two rooms above the Sally Shop on Second Avenue in Saskatoon and started their own gallery. It was operated as a cooperative, with all decisions being made by the group itself. Incorporated as a non-profit society in 1973, the gallery subsisted on grants from the Saskatchewan Arts Board, Canada Council, Department of Culture and Youth, Saskatchewan Sport Trust, etc. as well as membership dues and commissions on artists' sales. It is interesting to note that the gallery did not hire any staff until 1978. By 1981 there were a number of successful commercial galleries in Saskatoon. This led to the original mandate losing its validity and perpetual financial problems. In 1982 the Canada Council provided ongoing financial support for the gallery to be operated as "an alternative artist-run centre". To better reflect this new direction, the name was changed to A.K.A. Gallery.

Alameda Pastoral Charge

  • SCAA-UCCS-0405
  • Corporate body
  • 1925–

Alameda Pastoral Charge was formed as a new United Church charge in 1925, containing preaching points at Alameda, Douglaston and Dalesboro. It amalgamated with Frobisher to form Alameda-Frobisher Pastoral Charge, sometime before 1990. After the closure of the Frobisher preaching point, the charge returned to the name Alameda Pastoral Charge, August 29, 2007.

Results 91 to 105 of 9666