Type of entity
Authorized form of name
Parallel form(s) of name
Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules
Other form(s) of name
- Smeaton W.M.S. Hospital
Identifiers for corporate bodies
Dates of existence
The first Smeaton Hospital was built ca.1933, by the United Church Woman's Missionary Society (W.M.S.). It opened with 10 beds and was described as a frame two-story building, 32'x40' with a full basement. Furniture and equipment was provided from various sources, including the Battleford School Home. In 1951, after the opening of the new Smeaton Union Hospital, the W.M.S. Hospital was closed and converted into a United Church.
Hospital personnel, over the years, included: Miss Mary Clark, sent by the W.M.S. (1949-?).
Smeaton (village), west of Choiceland, about 60 miles northwest of Prince Albert, SK
Functions, occupations and activities
Mandates/sources of authority
Identifier of the related entity
Category of the relationship
Dates of the relationship
Description of relationship
Access points area
Subject access points
Place access points
Authority record identifier
Rules and/or conventions used
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
2018: drafted for SAIN (by UCC Sask. Conf. Archives).
2021: revised in MemorySask.
"Smeaton W.M.S. Hospital" in Early History of Saskatchewan Churches (Grass Roots), vol. 2, ed. Meredith B. Banting, ca.1975, pp.102-103; "North to New Beginnings: Smeaton, Shipman and Districts" (Smeaton Historical Society, 1987); "The Corridor of Time: A History of the Saskatchewan Conference Branch of the Woman's Missionary Society of the United Church of Canada, 1905-1961" (compiled by Esther Holmes), ca.1961, pp.35, 56; UCC Sask. Conference Records of Proceedings.