University of Saskatchewan - College of Commerce√

Identity area

Type of entity

Corporate body

Authorized form of name

University of Saskatchewan - College of Commerce√

Parallel form(s) of name

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence



A School of Accounting was established in 1915 as part of the College of Arts and Science, with G.H. Ling, Professor of Mathematics and Dean of Arts and Science, as Head. Initially, only night classes were offered; in 1920, a complete 4-year course became available. The School was closely associated with the Institute of Chartered Accountants; a University Board of Examiners, chaired by Dean Ling, supervised the preparation and marking of examinations for the Institute. In 1936, the School was granted College status and formally separated from the College of Arts and Science. The College was renamed the College of Commerce in 1943 to reflect the expanded curriculum being offered to its students. The following individuals have served as Dean: G.H. Ling [School of Accounting] (1917-1936); J.A. Neilson [College of Accounting] (1936-1940); J.H. Thompson [College of Accounting] (1941-1943); J.H. Thompson (1943-1952); T.H. McLeod (1952-1961); Georgina Goodspeed [Acting] (1961-1962); T.H. McLeod (1962-1964); Georgina Goodspeed [Acting] (1964-1965); Lloyd Barber (1965-1969); Samuel Laimon (1969-1976); P.M. Maher (1976-1982); W.J. Brennan (1982-).


Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

Mandates/sources of authority

Internal structures/genealogy

General context

Relationships area

Access points area

Subject access points

Place access points


Control area

Authority record identifier


Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used


Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion




Maintenance notes

  • Clipboard

  • Export

  • EAC

Related subjects

Related places