Type of entity
Authorized form of name
University of Saskatchewan - Livestock Pavilion√
Parallel form(s) of name
Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules
Other form(s) of name
Identifiers for corporate bodies
Dates of existence
One of the five original campus buildings, the Livestock Pavilion (or Stock Pavilion as it was more commonly known) was designed by Brown and Vallance and constructed between 1910-1912 at a cost of $20,000. Built of red brick, the roof was a combination of slate and translucent glass panels, some of which could be opened for ventilation. The Pavilion included a large show arena, with seating for up to 500; the floor in this area remained earth, covered with straw or shavings, as it was felt concrete “might make the exercise of horses more dangerous than it should be.”
Early short courses offered by the University included butchering; the Pavilion had both a slaughter room and cold storage area. It also housed the first laboratory for the department of animal science. One design feature certainly dated it: the only washroom facilities were for men.
By 1986 there were concerns that the north wall of the Pavilion was unstable, and the building was slated for demolition in December of that year. It proved more durable than expected: the contractor had to search for a wrecking ball heavy enough to demolish the Pavilion’s roof. The demolition cost $43,000.