Title and statement of responsibility area
Aberdeen, Rosthern, Wakaw Pastoral Charges fonds
General material designation
- Textual record
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
Physical description area
1.0 metre (approx.) of textual records
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
Aberdeen Pastoral Charge, originally Vonda Pastoral Charge, was created as a United Church charge in 1925, part of Saskatoon Presbytery and consisting of preaching points at Vonda and Aberdeen. By 1940, the name had changed to Aberdeen Pastoral Charge. Around 1978/1979, Aberdeen joined Rosthern (St. Andrew's) and Wakaw to create Tri-Pastoral Charge. On July 1, 1994, TRI Pastoral Charge was dissolved and Aberdeen Pastoral Charge re-emerged. The charge was officially closed April 20, 2008.
Name of creator
Rosthern Pastoral Charge was created as a United Church charge in 1925, part of Saskatoon Presbytery and consisting of preaching points at Rosthern, Duck Lake and MacDowall. The charge was served by student ministers for much of the early period. Wakaw joined the charge ca.1974/1975 and, by 1979, Rosthern and Wakaw had joined Aberdeen to create Tri-Pastoral Charge. On July 1, 1994, TRI Pastoral Charge was dissolved and Rosthern Pastoral Charge re-emerged. The charge closed June 30, 2004.
Name of creator
Wakaw Pastoral Charge was formed as a new United Church charge in 1925, part of Prince Albert Presbytery and consisting of preaching points at Wakaw and Domremy. By 1951, it had moved to Saskatoon Presbytery but before 1958, it had returned to Prince Albert Presbytery. By 1962 St. Benedict and Prud'homme had joined the charge, while Domremy had left. Around the 1970s, the charge combined with Aberdeen and Rosthern St. Andrew's to form TRI Pastoral Charge (Saskatoon Presbytery). TRI Pastoral charge was divided again July 1, 1994, and the separate Wakaw Pastoral Charge was re-established.
Original provenance for many of the records in the fonds is unclear. Initial items were transferred to the archives between 1925 and 1986. Additions were received by Saskatchewan Conference in multiple batches, likely between 1992 and 2009.
Scope and content
The fonds consists of textual materials generated by TRI Pastoral Charge, Aberdeen Pastoral Charge and the prior Vonda Pastoral Charge, Rosthern Pastoral Charge, Wakaw Pastoral Charge and many of their constituent churches – their boards, committees and related bodies, local women’s units and other groups.
Contents include: minutes of church boards, sessions and stewards, and congregational meetings; some Sunday School records; minutes and financial records from some of the local Ladies Aid Society, Women’s Missionary Society (W.M.S.), Woman’s Association (W.A.) and United Church Women (U.C.W.) groups; brief histories; membership records; and registers documenting baptisms, marriages and burials at Aberdeen, Vonda, Prud’homme, Rosthern, Wakaw, and related locations. There is also a small number of minutes, letters and receipts from a Ruthenian Presbyterian Church (associated with Wakaw), written in Ukranian.
Immediate source of acquisition
Original order for many of these records is unclear. Items under XV.A and B were arranged and listed as local church records sometime before 1990, with the XV.SA groups added in 1992 and the XV.SC groups added in 2006 and 2009. The fonds was created in 2021, based on historical relationships between the congregations involved and the between the records previously listed.
Language of material
Script of material
Language and script note
A small number of minutes, letters and receipts from Ruthenian Presbyterian Church (Wakaw) appear to be written in Ukrainian.
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Some records are restricted, to protect personal information.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Use, publication, and/or reproduction of records are subject to the conditions of the Copyright Act. Church registers may not be photographed, scanned or otherwise copied without written permission from the Regional Council. Please consult archivist for assistance.
GS-168 includes original file listings.
Further accruals are expected.