Showing 10 results

Names
Fort San (Sask.)

Barnett, George D. (Dr.)

  • Person
  • 1915-1982

George Barnett was born in Saskatoon in 1915. He entered medical school at the University of Manitoba in 1938. He spent a year out of university while being treated for pleurisy at the Fort San Sanatorium, but recovered and graduated in 1944. After graduation he served in the armed forces. In 1946, Dr. Ferguson obtained Dr. Barnett's early release from the armed forces (RCAMC) and he joined SATL as a medical doctor. In 1957 Dr. Barnett was appointed as Dr. Orr's assistant, and succeeded him as General Superintendent on December 15th, 1957. He retired in 1982. He received a Commemorative Medal for the 125th Anniversary of the Confederation of Canada, presented by the Governor General.

Ferguson, Helen

  • Person
  • [1917-1948]

Helen Ferguson was the wife of Dr. Robert Ferguson, and resided with him at the Fort San Sanatorium.

Ferguson, Robert G. (Dr.)

  • Person
  • 1883-1964

Dr. Ferguson graduated from the Manitoba Medical School in 1916. Dr. Ferguson was appointed Medical Superintendent of the Fort San Sanatorium in 1917 and retired from the League in 1948. During this time he resided at Fort San with his wife Helen and their 7 children.

Fort Qu'Appelle Pastoral Charge

  • SCAA-UCCS-0456
  • Corporate body
  • 1925–

Fort Qu'Appelle Pastoral Charge was formed as a United Church charge in 1925, part of Abernethy Presbytery and consisting of preaching points at Fort Qu'Appelle (St. Andrew's United Church), Springbok and Sanitarium. As of 1932, the charge included Wideawake and was (briefly) listed as Fort Qu'Appelle - Sanitorium Pastoral Charge. As of 1936, preaching appointments had shifted to consist of Fort Qu'Appelle, Hughesvale, Fort San and Wide Awake. Lipton was added in the late 1940s and, by 1951, the charge was made up of Fort Qu'Appelle, Fort San and Springvale appointments. As of 1962, only Fort Qu'Appelle and Lipton were listed as part of the charge.

Fort San

  • Corporate body
  • 1917-1971

Kirkby, Robert W. (Dr.)

  • Person
  • 1919-1961

Dr. Robert W. Kirkby was a veteran of World War 1, who later worked as a Medical Doctor at the Fort San Sanatorium from August 1, 1919 and Medical Superintendent of the Prince Albert Sanatorium from its opening in 1930 to closing in 1961.

Orr, John H. (Dr.)

  • Person
  • 1926-1957

Dr. Orr, a former tuberculosis patient from Manitoba, joined the medical staff of the League in 1926. In 1948, Dr. Ferguson retired, and Dr. Orr succeeded him as General Superintendent and Director of Medical Services. He retired in 1957, succeeded by Dr. Barnett.

Saskatchewan Anti-Tuberculosis League

  • SCN00293
  • Corporate body
  • 1911-Present

The "Great White Plague" was the name used to describe tuberculosis. To fight the highly contagious disease the Saskatchewan Anti-Tuberculosis League was formed in 1911. Under its auspices Fort Qu'Appelle Sanatorium, was opened in 1917 to provide rest and fresh air. But the cure was long and tedious; few could afford to remain until they were healed. So in 1929, through the League's urging, Saskatchewan was the first province to make the care and treatment of tuberculosis free of charge.