Showing 10 results

Names
Prince Albert (Sask.)

Barnett, George D. (Dr.)

  • Person
  • 1915-1982

George Barnett was born in Saskatoon in 1915. He entered medical school at the University of Manitoba in 1938. He spent a year out of university while being treated for pleurisy at the Fort San Sanatorium, but recovered and graduated in 1944. After graduation he served in the armed forces. In 1946, Dr. Ferguson obtained Dr. Barnett's early release from the armed forces (RCAMC) and he joined SATL as a medical doctor. In 1957 Dr. Barnett was appointed as Dr. Orr's assistant, and succeeded him as General Superintendent on December 15th, 1957. He retired in 1982. He received a Commemorative Medal for the 125th Anniversary of the Confederation of Canada, presented by the Governor General.

Kirkby, Robert W. (Dr.)

  • Person
  • 1919-1961

Dr. Robert W. Kirkby was a veteran of World War 1, who later worked as a Medical Doctor at the Fort San Sanatorium from August 1, 1919 and Medical Superintendent of the Prince Albert Sanatorium from its opening in 1930 to closing in 1961.

Prince Albert Calvary Pastoral Charge

  • SCAA-UCCS-0441
  • Corporate body
  • 195?–

Prince Albert Calvary Pastoral Charge was formed in the mid-1950s, as part of Prince Albert Presbytery and consisting of Calvary United Church.

Prince Albert Nisbet Pastoral Charge

  • SCAA-UCCS-0269
  • Corporate body
  • ca.1960–2001

Prince Albert Nisbet Pastoral Charge was created ca.1960, containing Nisbet Memorial United Church (Prince Albert). Later preaching points included Faith United Church (Spruce Home), Steep Creek and Colleston. The charge officially closed on June 30, 2001.

Prince Albert Wesley Pastoral Charge

  • SCAA-UCCS-0171
  • Corporate body
  • 1925–2018

Prince Albert Wesley Pastoral Charge was formed as a new United Church charge in 1925, part of Prince Albert Presbytery and consisting of Wesley United Church (Prince Albert). It was closed July 1, 2018.

Saskatchewan Anti-Tuberculosis League

  • Corporate body
  • 1911-Present

The "Great White Plague" was the name used to describe tuberculosis. To fight the highly contagious disease the Saskatchewan Anti-Tuberculosis League was formed in 1911. Under its auspices Fort Qu'Appelle Sanatorium, was opened in 1917 to provide rest and fresh air. But the cure was long and tedious; few could afford to remain until they were healed. So in 1929, through the League's urging, Saskatchewan was the first province to make the care and treatment of tuberculosis free of charge.

United Church of Canada Prince Albert Presbytery

  • SCAA-UCCS-0019
  • Corporate body
  • 1925–2000

Prince Albert Presbytery was one of the original 16 presbyteries established by the first General Council of the United Church of Canada (June 1925), to be part of the new Saskatchewan Conference. Initial boundaries were based on the previous Prince Albert Presbytery, which had been part of the Presbyterian Synod of Saskatchewan. Prior to Union , in 1925, there had also been a Prince Albert District, in the Saskatchewan Conference of the Methodist Church.

In 2000, Saskatchewan Conference went from 10 presbyteries to 7, with each adopting a new name. Most pastoral charges from Prince Albert Presbytery became part of the new Tamarack Presbytery.

United Church of Canada Tamarack Presbytery

  • SCAA-UCCS-0035
  • Corporate body
  • 2000–2018

Tamarack Presbytery was one of the 7 presbyteries of Saskatchewan Conference created in 2000. It was initially comprised of pastoral charges from the former Prince Albert Presbytery. In January 2019, as part of a larger restructuring of the United Church of Canada, Tamarack Presbytery was combined with Saskatchewan Conference and the other remaining presbyteries to become Region 4.