Showing 22 results

Moose Jaw Public Library, Archives Department

Horn, Mary E.

  • SCAA-MJPL-0028
  • Person
  • [18--]-[19--]

Mary E. Horn (nee Gordon) originally came from Peterborough, Ontario. In 1912 she purchased a plot of land in Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan, numbered lot 6 block 49. She eventually settled in Regina, Saskatchewan in either 1915 or 1916, and married John Horn in either 1920 or 1921.

Walker, John, 1917-1972

  • SCN00103
  • Person
  • 1917-1972

John Walker was born on February 11, 1917. He was educated in Moose Jaw and worked for the Canadian Pacific Railway (CPR) starting in 1939. From 1940 to 1945 he served with the Royal Winnipeg Rifles. Upon his return John Walker continued working for the CPR and married Muriel Fysh in 1947. He was a member of the United Transportation Union Local 502 and the Moose Jaw Natural History Society. John Walker died on July 6, 1972

Westview Rural Telephone Company

  • SCN00104
  • Corporate body
  • 1911-1976

The Westview Rural Telephone Company was initiated in 1910 and formally incorporated in 1911. W.H. Brown was the first president with John Logan as Secretary/Treasurer. James Gilmour was the first of 34 shareholders in 1911.

The company was given permission to construct the telephone network on March 6, 1911 and a construction tender was awarded to Somerville & Olson of Regina. The area covered was primarily in 18-27 and 18-28 W2 between Archydal and Tuxford.

A rental agreement was made with the Belbeck Rural Telephone Company to connect with Moose Jaw. Major renovations were done to the lines in 1945 and 1964.

On October 18, 1976, the shareholders were in unanimous agreement to accept Sasktel’s offer to assimilate Westview into their system. At the time of dissolution, Alfred Maynard was serving as President while Oliver Spence was Secretary/Treasurer.

Wild Animal Regional Park (Moose Jaw, Sask.)

  • SCN00241
  • Corporate body
  • 1929-1995

The Moose Jaw Wild Animal Park opened in 1929 as a 540-acre zoo. It contained over 200 types of animals from across Canada and the northwestern United States. For almost eighty years the zoo was in operation, educating visitors on different animals and environmental preservation. It closed in 1995.

Heselton, Bill and Ann

  • Family
  • [194?]-

Bill Heselton was born and raised in Moose Jaw. He worked for thirty years as a teacher and school administrator in Moose Jaw. Ann was born in The Hague, Holland and in 1952 her family moved to Moose Jaw. She managed a desktop publishing business. The Heseltons share a passion for history, and particularly collecting railway memorabilia. This led to the publication of a historical account of the electric railway in Moose Jaw, entitled “Not to exceed 10 miles per hour”: The story of the Moose Jaw Electric Railway 1910-1932 and Public Transportation in Moose Jaw to 2003. They have also published a book entitled Windows to the past: historical notes: Moose Jaw Brewing & Malting Co. Ltd. & building at 960 Home Street West, 1906 to 2010.

McClelland Family

  • Family
  • 1890-1988

Kathleen McClelland was born April 7, 1907 in Moose Jaw to Samuel “Ernest” Milburn McClelland and Ida (Battell) McClelland. She taught in various rural Saskatchewan schools from 1932-1938 and then in Moose Jaw from 1938-1970. She died in 1988 in Moose Jaw.

Samuel “Ernest” Milburn McClelland was born January 4, 1877 in Moose Jaw. He married Ida Battell on October 4, 1904. Shortly after their wedding, the couple left for a honeymoon in Ontario and stayed in Toronto until 1906. Ernest taught in Moose Jaw until 1917 when he was offered the school inspector position. He worked as a school inspector until 1942. Ernest lived at 160 Ominica St. West from 1907 until his death on July 28, 1961.

Ida (Battell) McClelland was born May 16, 1879 in Wicklow, Wentworth County to Martha Battell Brubaker and Henry Battell. Her family moved west to Moose Jaw on a wagon train in 1882. They were one of the earliest pioneers of the Saskatchewan District. Ida was a homemaker and had three children: Kathleen (1907-1988), Milburn (1909) and Laurella (1912-1993). Laurella was a doctor and worked in preventative medicine in the United States. Ida died March 13, 1966 in Moose Jaw.

Rella (Brubaker) Hunter was born February 8, 1895 to Martha Battell Brubaker and John Henry Brubaker. She was Ida (Battell) McClelland’s half-sister and Kathleen McClelland’s aunt. She married Harold B. Hunter and taught at the Alexandra Public School in Moose Jaw until her retirement in 1941. She lived in Vancouver until 1961, when she returned to Moose Jaw. Rella died September 28, 1966.

Henry and Martha Battell lived together in Moose Jaw. Henry, and their daughter Bertha, were both struck by lightning and killed. Martha remarried John Henry Brubaker. She died September 2, 1903.

Samuel McClelland was born January 12, 1833 in Ireland. He travelled to Peterborough, Ontario when he was about 15 to be with his sisters. He worked as a blacksmith. McClelland married Mary Milburn on April 1, 1856. Mary (Milburn) McClelland was born June 20, 1835. The couple moved to Bobcaygeon and by 1860s had opened a blacksmith shop and general store. They are considered one of the founders of Methodism in Bobcaygeon. They had nine children, seven daughters and two sons, the youngest being Samuel “Ernest” Milburn McClelland. Samuel McClelland died on November 21, 1920.

Gloom Chasers Club

  • Corporate body
  • 1942-1993

On May 28, 1942 a meeting was held at the home of Mrs. Agnus Campbell to organize a club for the Holyrood area. Holyrood School District #3718 is Northwest of the Village of Parkbeg. The Club was formed to help with the War effort, do patriotic work, and to remember the men and women in the armed forces. Mrs. John Lawson moved and Mrs. George Smith seconded that the club be named the “Holyrood Patriotic Get-Together Club”. The first president was Mrs. Magill and the secretary was Flor Down. Charter members were Mrs. John Lawson, Mrs. A. Campbell, Mrs. George Smith, Mrs. Everett Smith, Mrs. Magill and Mrs. Down. The motto of the club was “Others”. They sewed and knitted for the Red Cross, made quilts, collected coupons, held picnics, suppers, dances and raffles. They sent parcels to servicemen, gave to people locally who were sick or bereaved and donated to all worthy causes such as Milk for Britain, Children’s Shelter Fund, Greek and Chinese Relief, YMCA, CNIB, TB Fund, and after the War, the Canadian Legion Home Fund. In January 1946 the Club was renamed the “Gloom Chasers Club”. In 1960 they took over the Parkbeg Hall from the disbanded Victory Club. They made improvements to the hall, held evens, and continued donating to worthy causes. Due to low membership the Club disbanded in 1993. They dispersed of the remaining funds with donations to the Foundation for Moose Jaw Union Hospital, Mortlach School Library, Mortlach Branch of Palliser Regional Library, and the Parkland Kinsmen Club.

Results 1 to 15 of 22