Fonds MG 560 - Ambrosi Printers Collection

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Ambrosi Printers Collection

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

MG 560

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • [1960-2016] (inclusive) ; [1960-2005] (predominant) (Creation)

Physical description area

Physical description

5 cm of textual material

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

(1929-2014)

Administrative history

The company was formed in December 6, 1929, by Michael Ambrosi in Regina, Saskatchewan, after buying out Broche. In the early days, Michaels mothers did the bookkeeping and bindery work. At the age of thirty, Michael married a woman named Bernice, and together they had three children (a step-daughter and two sons). Michael worked full time, and it wasn’t until after his death that any of his children took an interest in the business, with son Phil Ambrosi taking over the work. The company prided itself on traditional craftsmanship and quality work. Ambrosi Printer’s expertise lay in letterpress printing which involved the casting of type using hot metal on a Ludlow Typograph machine. All of the equipment was entirely mechanical and had no electronic controls at all. For years, Ambrosi Printers not only printed directly for customers, but also cast and sold a very wide variety of hot metal type set on a Ludlow machine to other printers all across North America.
The company was one of the last Printers around that cast type using the Ludlow Typograph system and at one time had well over 1200 fonts for customers to choose from. Type was set using three Ludlow machines while printing was one using the shop’s four Heidelbergs.
Primarily, the company printed or imprinted the following items or provided: Foreign Language Business Cards & Stationery; General Business & Professional Stationery; All Kind of Die Cutting – Memoriam Cards -Prayer Cards; Poetry Cards – Mini Jigsaw Puzzles – Serviettes; Crash printing (front & back) – Grain Bags – Paper Bags; Legal Seals – Notion Bags – Notorial Seals – Rubber Stamps; Photo Mounts – Envelopes from Drug to X-Ray; Place Cards for Banquets; All Kinds of Numbering with Figures to 6? high; Blockout & Re-Print; Imprint Folded Brochures – Imprint File Folders
Ambrosi Printers, the last remaining manual printer in the province, closed its doors in December 2014 after 85 years in business.

Custodial history

Scope and content

Printing samples and information on the company and the printing trade.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Donated to the Archives by Neil Richards in 2016.

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

There are no restrictions on access.

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Copyright terms apply.

Finding aids

Uploaded finding aid

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Accession area

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres