Title and statement of responsibility area
Brotherhood of Railroad Trainmen fonds
Algemene aanduiding van het materiaal
- Textual record
Title statements of responsibility
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
1889-1952 ; predominate 1910-1931 (Vervaardig)
- Brotherhood of Railway Trainmen
52.3 cm of textual records.
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Naam van de archiefvormer
During the formative years of railway construction, railway employees frequently worked in poor conditions for insufficient pay. In 1883, the Brotherhood of Railroad Brakemen was formed in Oneonta, New York to represent railway brakemen in their contract dealings with management. Their goal was to obtain fair contracts for the workers, which included benefits in the case of injury or death on the job. The Brotherhood of Railroad Brakemen became the Brotherhood of Railroad Trainmen in 1889 in order to include all kinds of railway employees. They represented workers in 14 different trade classifications. In 1885 the first Canadian lodge was founded in Moncton, New Brunswick and in 1889 the first Ladies' Auxiliary was organized in Fort Gratiot, Michigan. The Brotherhood of Railroad Trainmen merged with three other railway labour unions in 1969 to form the United Transportation Union. It was the largest of the four unions at the time of the merger. The Brotherhood of Railroad Trainmen was present in Saskatchewan and the Moose Jaw assembly was Lodge #34.
Bereik en inhoud
This fonds contains the records of the Brotherhood of the Railroad Trainmen at Moose Jaw Lodge #34. It consists of financial ledgers, attendance registers and minute books from 1889-1952. Many of the minute books include member lists, attendance records and election results.
The majority of the material in this fonds is in bound volumes. The bindings of many of the volumes are in poor physical condition.
Directe bron van verwerving
This material was donated by Harold Davey and G. A. Richmond in 1987.
Taal van het materiaal
Schrift van het materiaal
Plaats van originelen
Beschikbaarheid in andere opslagformaten
Restrictions on access
Termen voor gebruik, reproductie en publicatie.
Finding aid and file listing available. See attached finding aid.
Uploaded finding aid
No further accruals expected.
This fonds was re-boxed and wrapped in mylar in 2012.
Boxes H-94 - H-100, V-178