Fonds MJ-012 - Buffalo Lake School District No. 119 fonds

Original Digital object not accessible

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Buffalo Lake School District No. 119 fonds

General material designation

  • Textual record

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description


Reference code


Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area


Physical description area

Physical description

4.00 cm of textual records.

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator


Administrative history

The Buffalo Lake School District No. 119 is located south of Buffalo Pound Lake and east of Tuxford.

Some sources record lessons being taught in an unidentified private home as early as 1885. The first meeting of the Board of Trustees was held at the house of David Taylor on April 4, 1888 with the first trustees being Charles Goss, James Franks and James McCartney.

The first school, known as the Point Elma School during the late 1800's was constructed in 1888 on a road allowance in an unknown location. It was the first school to be built on the plain between Moose Jaw and Buffalo Pound Lake. The building was moved in 1897 to the north-west corner of NW 10-19-26 W2. The name of first teacher is unknown but Roxy Alexander was in charge of the school in 1891-1892.

In 1910, a new school was built on the site and the old building was used as a barn and stable. The new school was moved in 1925 to the north-west corner of NW 11-19-26 W2.
The school was closed in June 1945 due to lack of students but was re-opened in August 1955 and remained in operation until ca. 1964 or 1965.

Custodial history

Scope and content

This fonds contains photocopies of the Daily Registers for attendance of students at the Buffalo Lake School S.D. No. 119 kept by the teachers. Also included are photocopies of a financial ledger documenting the expenditures of the said school.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Accession Number:12.BA donated to the archives by an unknown donor.


Language of material

  • English

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Finding aids and file list available. See attached finding aid.

Associated materials

Related materials


No further accruals expected.


This fonds was foldered and new photocopies were made in 2000 from photocopies of the originals made in 1977.

Location note

Box V-3

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Digital object (Master) rights area

Digital object (Reference) rights area

Digital object (Thumbnail) rights area

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related genres