Title and statement of responsibility area
City of Moose Jaw fonds
General material designation
- Textual record
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
- City of Moose Jaw
Physical description area
106 cm of textual records.
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
Moose Jaw was established with the arrival of the Canadian Pacific Railway in 1882. The first permanent resident of Moose Jaw was James Hamilton Ross. By May 1883, the population of Moose Jaw fluctuated between 2,000 and 3,000 people. Moose Jaw was given official status as a town on February 13, 1884. The first Mayor was John Edgar Ross. On November 20, 1903, with a population of 2,500 people, Moose Jaw was incorporated as a city. The Mayor was Charles Unwin. City councillors were C.B.C. Sharpe, Donald McLean, J.E. Hopkins, John R. Green, A.R. Garrod, J.U. Munns and secretary-treasurer was W.A. Munns.
In 2005, Moose Jaw has a population of approximately 35,000 people. The annual budget of the City is over 30 million dollars. Nearly half is funded by property taxation. The mayor and six councillors are elected for three year terms and operate with a commissioner form of government. The city manager, formerly called the city commissioner is responsible to city council and administers the operation with a staff of over 300 people. Major departments include police, fire, transit, engineering, finance, and parks and recreation
Scope and content
This fonds consists of three series. There are financial records from 1960 to 1976 contained in a ledger, as well as a cash book, cheque register, distribution and general finanacial journals covering finances from 1989 to 1991. The second series consists of eleven scrapbooks and binders filled with newspaper (press) clippings of notices, advertisements and information regarding the City of Moose Jaw from 1917 to 1978, compiled by the city clerk. The third series consists of a promotional booklet from 1906 produced by the city of Moose Jaw.
The binders and scrapbooks are very old. The edges are tattered and the pages are brittle. The newspaper clippings are discoloured and brittle.
Immediate source of acquisition
Accession number 5.24/00 donated to the archives by the City Clerk/Solicitor Office.
This material (51.3-001) was donated to the archive by Ms. Kathryn J. Acker via the City of Moose Jaw in 1996.
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Finding aid and file list available. See attached finding aid.
Uploaded finding aid
This fonds was re boxed and foldered in 2005 and 2012.
Boxes H-65 - H-71, OS-15 - OS-19