Fonds RG 2040 - Department of Classics fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Department of Classics fonds

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description


Reference code

RG 2040

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area


  • 1963-1970 (Creation)

Physical description area

Physical description

0.05 m of textual records

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator


Administrative history

The Department of Classics was one of the original four departments of the University. With Latin and classical studies playing a central role in the secondary school system, students entered their university studies well grounded in ancient language skills. Programs were directed toward advanced language studies, literary studies of the classical authors in the original languages, and ancient history. As Latin and Greek disappeared from the secondary school system, the department had to adapt to students entering the program without prior language training. The abolition of the Arts second language requirement in 1967 forced the department to adjust its programs further. The 1970s saw the introduction of translation classes and the Classics in English program. In 1976 the responsibility for teaching ancient history was given to the history department and the Department of Classics was renamed the Department of Greek and Roman Studies. The department changed its name back to Classics in 1986. The following have served as head of the department: A Moxon (1909-1911); W.G. Sullivan (1911-1945); J.F. Leddy (1945-1965); R.M. Ferguson (1965-1967); C.D. Pritchet (1967-1976); P.M. Swan (1976-1982); N. McClosky (1982-1993); P. Burnell (1993- ).

Custodial history

Scope and content

This fonds contains administrative records of the Department of Classics, including material relating to budgets, staffing and space needs and the appointment of the department head.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition


Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Personal material relating to faculty, staff and students is restricted.

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Finding aid available: file title list only.

Associated materials

Related materials


Further accruals expected.

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Place access points

Genre access points

Control area

Accession area