Fonds RG 2039 - Department of Geology fonds

Zone du titre et de la mention de responsabilité

Titre propre

Department of Geology fonds

Dénomination générale des documents

Titre parallèle

Compléments du titre

Mentions de responsabilité du titre

Notes du titre

Niveau de description



RG 2039

Zone de l'édition

Mention d'édition

Mentions de responsabilité relatives à l'édition

Zone des précisions relatives à la catégorie de documents

Mention d'échelle (cartographique)

Mention de projection (cartographique)

Mention des coordonnées (cartographiques)

Mention d'échelle (architecturale)

Juridiction responsable et dénomination (philatélique)

Zone des dates de production


  • 1920-1960, predominant 1946-1955 (Production)

Zone de description matérielle

Description matérielle

1 m of textual records, graphic materials, and cartographic materials

Zone de la collection

Titre propre de la collection

Titres parallèles de la collection

Compléments du titre de la collection

Mention de responsabilité relative à la collection

Numérotation à l'intérieur de la collection

Note sur la collection

Zone de la description archivistique

Nom du producteur


Histoire administrative

The Department of Geology was established in 1927, three years before the province gained responsibility over its mineral resources. In 1935, through the College of Engineering, an undergraduate program in geological engineering was begun. This was supplementary to the course in Arts and soon became the more popular of the two. The department moved closer to Engineering with the responsibility for its budget moving to the Dean of Engineering. The post-1950 era marked a period of expansion and diversification with a concentration on programs designed to support the mining and petroleum industries. In 1967 the department once again came under the administration of the College of Arts and Science. The following have served as head of the department: J.B. Mawdsley (1927-1960); F.H. Edmunds (1960-1965); A.R. Byers (1965-1972); W.G.E. Caldwell (1972-1988); H.E. Hendry (1988- ).

Historique de la conservation

Portée et contenu

This fonds contains the papers of two department heads, J.B. Mawdsley and A.R. Byers. It includes maps, charts, field notes, memoranda, reports, and photographs relating to various geological studies.

Zone des notes

État de conservation

Source immédiate d'acquisition


The material has been organized into two series:
I. J.B. Mawdsley
II. A.R. Byers

Langue des documents

Écriture des documents

Localisation des originaux

Disponibilité d'autres formats

Restrictions d'accès

Access to files containing personal information about faculty, staff or students in restricted.

Délais d'utilisation, de reproduction et de publication

Instruments de recherche

Finding aid available: file title list only.

Éléments associés

Éléments associés


Further accruals expected.

Identifiant(s) alternatif(s)

Zone du numéro normalisé

Numéro normalisé


Mots-clés - Lieux

Mots-clés - Genre

Zone du contrôle

Accession area