Title and statement of responsibility area
Diocese of Saskatchewan fonds
General material designation
- Multiple media
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
1833-1996, predominant 1877-1996 (Creation)
- Saskatoon (Sask.)
Physical description area
33 m of textual records and other materials
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
The Diocese of Saskatchewan was created in 1873, from territory previously ministered to by the Diocese of Rupert's Land, by an act of the Synod of the Diocese of Rupert's Land with the approval of the Anglican Church Missionary Society (CMS). The new Diocese was incorporated by Act of Parliament in 1882 ("An Act to Incorporate the Synod of the Diocese of Saskatchewan"). The original Diocese of Saskatchewan included most of the south and north-central areas of the present day civil provinces of Saskatchewan and Alberta, and a small part of northern Manitoba. In 1884 the Diocese of Assiniboine (later Qu'Appelle) was created in the southeast. At the same time the Diocese acquired more territory in what are now northern Saskatchewan and Alberta, and a larger portion of Manitoba, including The Pas and Devon Mission area. In 1888 the Diocese of Calgary was created from its southwestern flank. Saskatchewan gave up the last of its Alberta and Manitoba territory in 1927 and 1933 respectively. Also in 1933 the Diocese was split again into a northern part, based in Prince Albert, and a southern part, based in Saskatoon. The original Act of Incorporation was amended to replace the name "Saskatchewan" with "Saskatoon," making it the continuing diocese and Saskatchewan the daughter diocese. The new Act of Incorporation was assented to March 27, 1933. The Diocese is responsible for ministering to the spiritual and (often) physical needs of its constituents in accordance with Anglican practices and Canon Law and including associated financial, legal and administrative functions. It is part of the ecclesiastical Province of Rupert's Land and in turn a member of the General Synod of the Anglican Church of Canada. The Diocese is an autonomous, self-governing body with in its own jurisdiction, and has had the right to elect its own Bishop since 1970. Authority is held by the Diocesan Synod, which is made up of elected and appointed delegates from across the Diocese, and by the Executive Committee. The Bishop of Saskatchewan is the chief administrative and pastoral officer.
Scope and content
The fonds consists of records made and received by the officers, parishes and organizations constituting the Diocese of Saskatchewan and documenting their activities within the diocese and in their relationships with organizations and individuals external to it.
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Records may be viewed with permission of the Bishop or designated agent.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
No reproduction or publication without prior permission of the Bishop or designated agent.
Inventory and file list available.
Related material: See Hughes-Caley fonds and Bishop Martin fonds for related records.
Associated material: Diocese of Saskatoon fonds (Saskatchewan Archives Board, Saskatoon). Diocese of Assiniboine fonds (Saskatchewan Archives Board, Regina). Diocese of Edmonton. Diocese of Calgary. Diocese of Keewatin. Anglican Church General Synod Archives (Toronto).
Further accruals are expected.