Farewell School District No. 273

Identity area

Type of entity

Corporate body

Authorized form of name

Farewell School District No. 273

Parallel form(s) of name

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence



On Friday, May 12, 1893 the residents south and west of the present site of Tuxford met at the home of John Wesley Astleford to discuss the formation of a new school district. The first trustees of the Farewell (also spelled Fairwell) School were Lawrence B. King, William Spence and Joseph Astleford. The school was built on the NW corner of the SE quarter of Section 34 Township 18 Range 27. In 1903 the school was moved to the NE corner of Section 2 Township 19 Range 27 nearer to the centre of the school district. The first teacher hired is unknown. Other early teachers were Mr. V.J. McWilliams (1899), Elbert J. Whitman (1904), Brenda C. Melville (1907), Lorne MacEown (1910), Jean Omand (1911). The children from Tuxford attended Farewell School until Tuxford School opened in 1909. There became a shortage of school aged children in the Farewell district and the school was forced to close. Some of the students went to Marquis and some to Tuxford. The district was not terminated and no taxes were paid. On March 30, 1920 the Farewell School District dissolved.


Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

Mandates/sources of authority

Internal structures/genealogy

General context

Relationships area

Access points area

Subject access points

Place access points


Control area

Authority record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used


Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion




Maintenance notes

  • Clipboard

  • Export

  • EAC

Related subjects

Related places