Title and statement of responsibility area
Farewell School District No. 273 fonds
General material designation
- Textual record
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
1893 1920 (Creation)
- Farewell School District No. 273
Physical description area
14.5 cm of textual records.
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
On Friday, May 12, 1893 the residents south and west of the present site of Tuxford met at the home of John Wesley Astleford to discuss the formation of a new school district. The first trustees of the Farewell (also spelled Fairwell) School were Lawrence B. King, William Spence and Joseph Astleford. The school was built on the NW corner of the SE quarter of Section 34 Township 18 Range 27. In 1903 the school was moved to the NE corner of Section 2 Township 19 Range 27 nearer to the centre of the school district. The first teacher hired is unknown. Other early teachers were Mr. V.J. McWilliams (1899), Elbert J. Whitman (1904), Brenda C. Melville (1907), Lorne MacEown (1910), Jean Omand (1911). The children from Tuxford attended Farewell School until Tuxford School opened in 1909. There became a shortage of school aged children in the Farewell district and the school was forced to close. Some of the students went to Marquis and some to Tuxford. The district was not terminated and no taxes were paid. On March 30, 1920 the Farewell School District dissolved.
Scope and content
This fonds consists of a ratepayers assessment roll for the years 1904-1912, financial records consisting of receipts, cheques 1895-1920 and a bank book for the years 1908-1916, and the secretary-treasurer's files consisting of correspondence, reports, contracts, and financial papers, from the years 1893-1917.
The assessment roll book is tattered and very brittle. The outer covers are missing.
Immediate source of acquisition
Accession number 58.BA donated to the archives by unknown.
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Finding aid and file list available. See attached finding aid.
Uploaded finding aid
No further accruals expected.
This fonds was re boxed and foldered in 2004.
Boxes V 31, H-33