Print preview Close

Showing 280 results

Archival description
Gibson Photo
Print preview View:

73 results with digital objects Show results with digital objects

CJUS-FM Radio Station - Interior

Note on back: "Dudley Newell, announcer librarian at CJUS-FM, operating in the control room of the University of Saskatchewan's student-run FM radio station".

Bio/Historical Note: In 1959 a campus group calling themselves "University Radio Productions" approached the federal government for a broadcast license to operate a student-run FM station on a non-commercial basis. Licensing requirements demanded that licenses only be issued to the university itself; in 1960 students approached the Board of Governors for approval. Operation of the station, including a constitution, was formalized in 1965 between the University and the Students Union (USSU), and CJUS-FM was launched. Studios were initially located in the basement of the university's Memorial Union Building, but were moved to the basement of the Education Building in 1980 next to the Department of Audio Visual Services. The station was launched through a partnership between the university's board of governors and its student union. For a number of years, the station also aired some programming from the CBC Stereo network before CBKS was launched. In 1983, with the station in financial trouble, it began to accept limited commercial advertising, and briefly changed its call sign to CHSK. The following year, the university's board decided to discontinue its funding of the station, and CHSK ceased broadcasting on 30 September 1985. CJUS was relaunched as an Internet radio stream in 2005.

CJUS-FM Radio Station - New Transmitter

Image of CJUS-FM Radio Station official opening of new transmitter. Standing (l to r): Al Pippin, CJUS-FM technical director; Gordon Walburn, station manager; Joanne Bristol, student volunteer; and Cliff Wright, mayor of Saskatoon. Tower in background; taken on top of Arts Building.

Bio/Historical Note: In 1959 a campus group calling themselves "University Radio Productions" approached the federal government for a broadcast license to operate a student-run FM station on a non-commercial basis. Licensing requirements demanded that licenses only be issued to the university itself; in 1960 students approached the Board of Governors for approval. Operation of the station, including a constitution, was formalized in 1965 between the University and the Students Union (USSU), and CJUS-FM was launched. Studios were initially located in the basement of the university's Memorial Union Building, but were moved to the basement of the Education Building in 1980 next to the Department of Audio Visual Services. The station was launched through a partnership between the university's board of governors and its student union. For a number of years, the station also aired some programming from the CBC Stereo network before CBKS was launched. In 1983, with the station in financial trouble, it began to accept limited commercial advertising, and briefly changed its call sign to CHSK. The following year, the university's board decided to discontinue its funding of the station, and CHSK ceased broadcasting on 30 September 1985. CJUS was relaunched as an Internet radio stream in 2005.

Dalgleish Family Trip Winners - Group Photo

Posed group photo of Dalgleish family trip winners.

Bio/Historical Note: Dr. Harold Dalgleish was born in Gull Lake, Saskatchewan in 1907 and attended the University of Saskatchewan and the University of Manitoba. He established a general practice in Saskatoon in 1936 and became a specialist in surgery 1960. He taught at all three city hospitals and was chief of staff at City Hospital from 1964-1968. Dr. Dalgleish was president of the Saskatchewan College of Physicians and Surgeons in 1961-1966 during the medical care dispute. Dr. Dalgleish was elected president of the Canadian Medical association in 1968 and was awarded that association’s medal of service in 1969. He retired from practice in 1970 to assume duties as registrar of the College of Physicians and Surgeons, where he served until 1977. Dr. Dalgleish died in Saskatoon in 1984.

Department of Chemical Engineering - Research

Note on back of photograph: "Dandina Nagarajo Rao (left) assembled the pilot plant in a chemical engineering laboratory at the U of S before taking it by truck to Prince Albert. Here, he discusses the plant's operation with Profs. N.N. Bakhshi (centre) and Doug Macdonald. The two containers at the top receive effluent from the pulp mill's bleach plant, the one on the left highly colored caustic effluent and the one on the right acid-containing effluent goes into the bottom right container where the fly ash is introduced. The acidified fly ash is then piped across to the bottom left container to treat the caustic effluent, which flows in from the top left container".

Results 91 to 105 of 280