Title and statement of responsibility area
Qu'Appelle and Edgeley Pastoral Charges fonds
General material designation
- Textual record
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
Physical description area
80 cm (approx.) of textual records
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
Qu'Appelle Pastoral Charge was formed as a new United Church charge in 1925, part of Qu'Appelle Presbytery and consisting of appointments at Qu'Appelle and Edgeley. The congregation at Qu'Appelle can be traced to Presbyterian and Methodist congregations from at least the 1880s, which joined in 1925, creating Knox United Church, in the former Presbyterian building (built ca.1907, replacing a previous 1886 building). The Methodist Qu'Appelle Circuit (formed ca.1882) had served congregations in Qu'Appelle and Edgeley, both of which also built churches, in 1883.
By 1962, Qu'Appelle Pastoral Charge points at Qu'Appelle and Edgeley had been joined by McLean and Avonhurst (formerly McLean Pastoral Charge). By 1969, Avonhurst was no longer listed in the charge. On April 1, 1989, Edgeley and McLean separated and formed their own pastoral charges. In 2018, the remaining Qu'Appelle Knox Pastoral Charge was disbanded. (The separate Edgeley Pastoral Charge continued on.)
Original provenance for many of the records in the fonds is unclear. Initial items were transferred to the archives between 1925 and 1986. A further batch was added around 2021.
Scope and content
The fonds consists of textual materials generated by Qu’Appelle Pastoral Charge and (the later separate) Edgeley Pastoral Charge, as well as its constituent congregations – church boards, committees and related bodies, local women’s units and other groups.
Contents include: minutes of official boards, Managers, Stewards, Session, congregational, Building Committee, Manse Committee and Sunday School meetings; records of local Ladies Aid Societies, Women’s Missionary Society (W.M.S.), Women’s Federation (W.F.), Woman’s Association (W.A.) and United Church Women (UC.W.) groups; various financial records and property files; church history notes, bulletins and directories; historic rolls, communion and membership rolls; and registers of baptisms, marriages, and burials held at Edgeley, Qu’Appelle, and related locations. There is also a small group of minutes and related items from the Arts and Crafts Guild.
Immediate source of acquisition
Original order for many of these records is unclear. Items under A.381.XV.A and A.381.XV.B were arranged and listed as local church records sometime before 1990 and the others (under XV.SR) around 2021. The fonds was created in 2022, to include records previously listed and any new additions.
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Some records are restricted, to protect personal information.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Use, publication, and/or reproduction of records are subject to the conditions of the Copyright Act. Church registers may not be photographed, scanned or otherwise copied without written permission from the Regional Council. Please consult archivist for assistance.
GS-168 includes original file listings.
Uploaded finding aid
Textual records: A.381.XV.A.1003 to A.1009, A.2843 to A.2863, A.5973 to A.5998; A.381.XV.B.154, B.281; XV.SR.1606 to SR.1617