Title and statement of responsibility area
Tuxford and Marquis Pastoral Charges fonds
General material designation
- Textual record
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
Physical description area
50 cm (approx.) of textual records
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
Tuxford Pastoral Charge was formed as a self-sustaining United Church field in 1925, part of Moose Jaw Presbytery, with appointments at Tuxford, Buffalo Lake, Pioneer and Huron. Prior to this, it had been a Presbyterian pastoral charge. By 1932, the charge consisted of Tuxford, [Lake] Huron and Marquis preaching points. Tuxford Pastoral Charge was no longer listed by 1958 and, as of 1962, the Tuxford preaching point had joined Marquis and Keeler as part of Marquis Pastoral Charge.
Name of creator
Marquis Pastoral Charge was formed as a self-sustaining United Church field in 1925, part of Moose Jaw Presbytery, with appointments at Marquis and Keeler. Between 1926 and 1932, the Marquis preaching point joined Tuxford Pastoral Charge (initially called Buffalo Lake Pastoral Charge) and Keeler was not listed within the Presbytery. By 1936, Keeler had joined with Lake Valley to form Keeler Pastoral Charge.
Between 1951 and 1958, Marquis Pastoral Charge re-formed. As of 1962, preaching points included Marquis, Keeler and Tuxford. Around 1970/71, Tuxford joined Moose Jaw Minto Pastoral Charge, alongside the Minto and Boharm appointments -- the points remained together until around 1974.
Original provenance for many of the records in the fonds is unclear. Initial items were transferred to the archives between 1925 and 1986. A further batch of records was added around 2005.
Scope and content
The fonds consists of textual materials generated by Tuxford Pastoral Charge (previously Buffalo Lake Pastoral Charge) and Marquis Pastoral Charge, their predecessors and constituent congregations – church boards, committees and related bodies, local women’s units and other groups.
Contents include: minutes of official boards, congregational, Session, and committee meetings; records of local Ladies Aid Societies, Women’s Missionary Society (W.M.S.), Woman’s Association (W.A.), and United Church Women (UC.W.) groups; communion and historic rolls; financial records; church histories; Mission Field Record Books and registers of baptisms, marriages, and burials held at Tuxford, Marquis, Huron, Keeler, Buffalo Lake, Bolbeck, Boharm, Carmel, Moose Jaw, and Summerside.
Immediate source of acquisition
Original order for many of these records is unclear. Items under XV.A were arranged and listed as local church records sometime before 1990 and the accruals (under XV.SC) were added around 2005. The fonds was created in 2022, to include records previously listed and any later additions.
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Some records are restricted, to protect personal information.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Use, publication, and/or reproduction of records are subject to the conditions of the Copyright Act. Church registers may not be photographed, scanned or otherwise copied without written permission from the Regional Council. Please consult archivist for assistance.
GS-168 includes original file listings.
Uploaded finding aid
Further accruals are expected.
Textual records: A.381.XV.A.506 to A.510, A.1489 to A.1493, A.2104 to A.2111, A.4119 to A.4131; A.1078.XV.SC.16 to SC.18