Showing 419 results

Names
United Church of Canada Living Skies Region Archives Corporate body

United Church Woman’s Association (W.A.), Saskatchewan Conference

  • SCAA-UCCS-0141
  • Corporate body
  • ca.1950–1962

The United Church Woman's Association (W.A.) in Saskatchewan appears to have been formed by the 1950s, or possibly earlier. It primarily operated in local and presbytery-level units before the organization of the national-level Dominion Council of the Woman's Association, in 1940. Efforts of the W.A. generally supported the local church and community, while other organizations focused on education and world mission programs.

In 1962, United Church W.M.S. and W.A. organizations across the country amalgamated to form the United Church Women (U.C.W.). Presbyterial and local groups developed along similar lines to national bodies, becoming local and presbyterial U.C.W. units in January 1962.

United Church Women (U.C.W.), Saskatchewan Conference

  • SCAA-UCCS-0142
  • Corporate body
  • 1962–2012

The United Church Women (U.C.W.) was formed in 1962, from an amalgamation of United Church Woman's Missionary Society (W.M.S.) and Woman's Association (W.A.) organizations, across the country. Existing Women's Federation (W.F.) groups were also incorporated into the UCW. Local and Presbytery-level groups developed along similar lines to national bodies, becoming local and presbyterial U.C.W. units in January 1962.

In October 2012, Saskatchewan’s U.C.W. Conference Coordinating Committee voted to disband and be replaced by the Women of the United Church of Canada Network. The mandate of the new network included communicating and supporting U.C.W. activities.

File Hills Residential School

  • SCAA-UCCS-0156
  • Corporate body
  • 1889–1949

The residential school was preceded by a small day school, opened by J.C. Richardson in 1884 on the Little Black Bear Reserve and closed soon afterwards. In 1886, R. Toms reopened the day school and it operated until 1889, when the Woman's Missionary Society with the support of the Foreign Mission Committee of The Presbyterian Church in Canada and the Department of Indian Affairs built a new school just outside of the reserve’s boundaries. This was operated by The Presbyterian Church until 1924 when its operation was transferred to the United Church of Canada who managed it until its closure in 1949.

Cote Day School

  • SCAA-UCCS-0157
  • Corporate body
  • 1928–1940

Hafford Hospital

  • SCAA-UCCS-0160
  • Corporate body
  • ca.1922–1941

Hafford Hospital was first built around 1922, by the Missionary Society of the Methodist Church. The first superintendent was the Rev. G. Dorey, who would later become Moderator of the United Church of Canada (successor to the Methodist Church in Canada). Dr. S.M. Scott was the first doctor to serve the hospital, followed by Dr. Rose, who was later joined by Dr. Paulson. The Hafford Hospital Ladies Aid Society, formed 1924, was involved in raising money to support hospital activities. After financial difficulties in the 1930s, the hospital was eventually closed, in 1941, due to lack of funds.

In 1946, the R.M. of Redberry and the Village of Hafford bought the building and its equipment from the Missionary Society, then re-opened it as the Hafford Union Hospital.

Smeaton Hospital

  • SCAA-UCCS-0161
  • Corporate body
  • ca.1933–1951

The first Smeaton Hospital was built ca.1933, by the United Church Woman's Missionary Society (W.M.S.). It opened with 10 beds and was described as a frame two-story building, 32'x40' with a full basement. Furniture and equipment was provided from various sources, including the Battleford School Home. In 1951, after the opening of the new Smeaton Union Hospital, the W.M.S. Hospital was closed and converted into a United Church.

Hospital personnel, over the years, included: Miss Mary Clark, sent by the W.M.S. (1949-?).

Wakaw Hospital [Anna Turnbull Hospital]

  • SCAA-UCCS-0162
  • Corporate body
  • 1906–1942

The first hospital at Wakaw was built around 1906, sponsored by the [Presbyterian] Board of Women's Home Missionary Society, to serve the immigrants settled around Wakaw Lake (near the Geneva Mission, served by Rev. and Mrs. Arthur). It was named the Anna Turnbull Memorial Hospital, in honour of a local pastor's late wife. In 1911, a larger new building was constructed nearby for hospital activities and the old building was re-purposed to contain staff quarters and supplies storage.

In December 1942, the hospital was closed and the W.M.S. sold its contents and building (which was disassembled). The last doctor assigned there, Dr. R.G. Scott, retired in 1943 and was honoured by the Woman's Missionary Society, Saskatchewan Conference. The W.M.S. hospital would later be succeeded by the Dr. Scott Memorial Hospital, which opened in 1947.

Results 91 to 105 of 419